Proof reading/accuracy check request

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

http://spyblocker-software.com/IPB/index.php?showtopic=1909

hi all

with some help from Paranoid2000 I have been working hard to improve the lay out of my guide as it was some what hap hazard and I'm looking for some feed back and any further suggestions for improvement

I would also appreciate if some one could check the various sets of instructions I have for configuring things to make sure there accurate and if there not post corrections

see I'm running windows 98se and am there for unable to check these things my self this also holds true for stuff like Outlook and Media Player because I'm running 98se I cant load the latest version on to my system to make sure that the instructions I have are correct

so of course its all educated guess work from what I can find on the net and thats not good becaues the idea is to help people and reduce the work load for others

not blow up someones computer lol

thanks

link is at the top of the post

2. Bethrezen

Anybody ??

3. Bethrezen

has no one got the time to look this over for me ??

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It looks good and I can tell you have put a lot of time into it. The only thing I can see is that a newbie may get a little lost there is so much information. But if they are serious about trying to fix their computer or just wanting to learn the in's and out of security and malware removal, there is a lot for them to learn there.

bigc

5. Bethrezen

hi

thanks for your reply

this is true but hence why I went back and redid the layout so that it would be a bit easer to follow

my main concern is making sure I have everything spot on because there are large amounts of things in there that I am unable to check for my self like the instructions for disabling of various services for instance because I run 98 which is why I want some one that really knows what there doing to check and make sure

once I'm sure everything is ok I can there turn my attention to adding a couple of new sections pacfile & proxies and maybe some more stuff on basic system maintenance I already covered back up so maybe add a section on reg-cleaning

though I think for these sections id need some massive amount of help because these things are just a lil beyond the scope of my knowledge

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I believe you are on the right track and you seem to be doing a fine job. I am sure that someone that is versed in all of the operating systems will come along and help on some of the stuff you are not to sure about. Just don't get frustrated, it will all fall into place.

bigc

7. Bethrezen

i guess its just a waiting game becaues its quite a big task which could take a day or 2 which is most likley putting people off a lil bit because thay just dont have the time to spair

oh well i guess ill just have to keep bumping the post to the top of the forum every couple of days

im sure someone will beable to help me out eventualy

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You've got the hardening tools all over the place, I would put them all in one catagory. Also, SafeXP, WWDC, & SecureIt would eliminate the need for any of the others, which would help to consolidate the list. SecureIt will also do quite a few things the others won't. It would also be a good idea to encourage the reader to install all Windows Updates. You can slipstream all the hotfixes with nLite or download Auto Patcher.

I'm also thinking that you might also want to separate the Win2000/XP & 9x/ME fixes apart to avoid confusion.

9. Bethrezen

Hi Notok

im not sure i understand could you elabarate a bit mabe provide an example ?

having just read over what i have i can kind of see what ya mean but im not sure if i know of a way round this except mabe to create an index of links

see what it apears to me that you are suggesting is somthing similuer to what i had before the only trouble with this is that that is very messey and disorganised at least the way things are right now if you are say looking to secure somthing perticuler you can find all the tools and infomation apropreat for that task in one place if you see what im saying

again im not sure i understand what you mean could you explain ?

i can kind of see where you are comming from with this but id have to disagree

the reasion i list the indervidual tools is becaues some of these vunrblities have a habit of showing up on older system which these tools like WWDC wont work on

also with reguard to stuff like SafeXP/XPAntispy you need to keep in mind that im trying to provide solutions that wil work for everyone reguardless of the system you are on becaues there are alot of people out there that are still running old systems like me for instance i cant stand xp to bloted ill take 98se lite over xp any day

what is SecureIt iv never heard of this url please ?

im prity sure i mention this but mabe i need to do a lil rewording or somthing

any suggestions ?

again this is somthing with which im not fermiluer with could you elabarate ?

i think whats needed in this case is to more clerley mark the devision between these to sections i think the actual order of the fixes is ok first fixes that apply to everyone then the ones that apply to Win95/98/ME then the ones that apply to WinXP

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  10. deverett

deverett Registered Member

Bethrezen-
    After reading your posts, I believe you should seriously consider a spell checker.
    D.

11. Bethrezen

lol i know that is one of my failings and i do have a spell checker its just that i dont always remember to use it

12. Bethrezen

Hi Spanner

thanks for the feed back

suggestion 5 i can see where your comming from with this but i think it would be more valuable to leave that in though i understand what you are saying about regedit being a bit lame so mabe what is needed here is a better registry tool time to go back over a couple of old posts im sure some one suggested one some where

also with reguard to backing up the registry i was going to add this but i was unsure of excatley how this was acomplished i think i may have posted some where asking how to do this but got no reply somthing eles ill be looking up if i have asked befor ill just bump the pots to the top of the board if not then ill make a fresh post

agreed

i have say id think this would be quite ovious as i usualy mark tools that you have to pay for that said i guess people can be quite dim so might be worth doing a small rewording

again this is another one of these things that seem really ovious but again people can be quite dim so i guess it would be worth mentioning what may be a better idea id to just add a small note that all of the 7 or 8 steps is it are detailed below

also thanks for the links to other stuff ill have a good read and add as apropreate

13. Bethrezen

hi

i use regseeker to not a bad lil app although thats a reg cleaner not a reg editer

what i was refairing to was was a tool that like regedit

that can actualy do the job and show all the relevent infomation that you may need

my only problem with them tools you listed is that there no good for older systems so what may be a good idea here is to work out how to do it with the stuff the comes with windows im sure theres some way then just list under that tools like Erunt and NTREGOPT under it so that people have a choise

14. Bethrezen

hi

hows this chanes in blue

If after checking Properties, you are still unsure what they're part of or whether they're safe to delete, either, look them up on your favourite search engine then cross reference thoughts results with an identical search on at least one another search engine, or go to one of the forums listed later in this guide and seek professional help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.