PROnetworks say Vista Beta partitions should NOT be done thru DD

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ClickCardo, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClickCardo

ClickCardo Registered Member

PROnetworks Vista forum gives a very detailed installation guide for Vista Beta 2 at

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about77377.html

It states VERY STRONGLY that creating a second partition on your current XP disk Vista Beta 2 using 3rd-party partitioning software like DD for Vista Beta 2 can serious unspecified errors. They recommend creating the partition with XP Disk Management tool. "Yeah, like I really want to do it that way so I bought Disk Director for kicks.".

Anybody have any experience with Vista Beta 2 installs to second partition created by DD with XP already on first they can share?

2. bamajim

bamajim Registered Member

ClickCardo

You cannot use DD, Vista won't recognize the unpartitioned space. I had to go through the teadious process of creating a logical Drive. :(

Ironic though, because once you load Vista, creating disk partitions is a snap, and existing partitions can be resized with 2 mouse clicks.

3. ClickCardo

BamaJim

Did you try creating the partition with DD and formatting it with XP instead of leaving it unallocated for Vista to format during install?

4. bamajim

bamajim Registered Member

ClickCardo

I did, and upon trying to load Vista, it still tried to over write XP. It needs to be a "logical drive", which I was unable to do with DD (unless I missed something).

5. ClickCardo

bamajim

Thanks for the info but I'm still confused.

I went into XP's own disk management tools and it said the partitioned drive I created with DD was in an "extended partition" and was a "logical drive".

Does XP's definition differ from what you(Vista?) understand it to be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.