Prolem running Windows search with TI v11 installed.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Kapiti, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

I’ve come across a small problem since updating to TI v11 that I never had using other versions of TI. The problem arises every time I use Windows search. Search goes though the process of checking both my internal drives C: and D: for a file or folder checking first the C: drive and then the D: drive then back to searching the C: drive until it stops with an Runtime error; “Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe This Application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way”.
    Uninstalling TI v11 then running Windows search the search program runs correctly - first checking the C: drive then the D: drive and stopping the search when completed. If I then reinstall TI v11 the search problem comes back (endless loop then the runtime error).
    I’ve uninstalled TI v11 a number of times via the Add and Remove, and also used RegSupreme Pro plus Acronis’s clean uninstall procedure to remove Acronis registry items but with TI v11 installed I can’t use Windows search correctly without the runtime error appearing.
    If with TI v11 installed I run search and only search the C: drive the search will run and finish correctly, it is only when I search both the C: and D: drives (search default option) that the problem happens.

I restored an image made prior to installing TI v11 which had TI v9 installed and run a test search which ran and completed correctly. I then uninstalled TI v9 and installed TI v11 ran Windows search and the problem with the endless loop started again. I then restored the same image back again but this time I installed TI v11 overtop of TI v9 the Windows search problem still came up.

I’ve used Acronis TrueImage though versions 6 (both Norton Ghost version and full version) and versions 8 and 9 without having this problem, and both versions 8 and 9 work on my present setup without having a problem while using Windows search.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Information:
    Two internal Seagate Hard drives installed, one 120 GB and one 200 GB. Two GB memory. Windows XP SP2 Home fully updated. AMD Athlon64 3700+. Asus A8N-SLI socket 939 motherboard.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

No, but one important difference between TI 9 and TI 11 is that the ability to explore within a .tib file was added in version 10, so search indexers and virus scanners can now burrow into an image file looking for stuff.

Do you have any .tib files on your D drive? If so, can you exclude .tib files from being indexed in your search program?

3. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

After reading your reply I removed all the TI backup files from my D: drive to an external drive then tried the search and everything worked correctly. I then copied a tib file onto my C: drive and done a search on the C: drive only, again search went into a endless loop ending with the runtime error.

So, it would appear that any drive that contains a .tib file will experience problems using Windows search, at least on my machineo_O

Is there any chance that you can copy a backup file onto your main hard drive and then test using Windows search? If others are getting the same problem maybe Acronis will do something to fix it.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Kapiti:

I had a similar problem with my virus scanner trying to scan inside .tib files. The solution was to exclude .tib files from virus scans. Can you do the same for Windows search? Look for a way to exclude certain file types, and if possible, exclude *.tib files.

5. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

As far as I can ascertain there's no way to exclude certain files using Windows search. I did, however, come across this thread that Acronis claimed they fixed the problem of searching the tib files in version 11. Must have missed the build I'm using:D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188705

Thanks for your assistance.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kapiti,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (8053) of Acronis True Image 11 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log the way described in this previous post

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

Have you tried switching indexing off for all files. Unless you have reason to do lots of searches I think it is a pretty useless overhead on the system anyway. Searching still works without it.

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I have a similar yet different search problem using Vers 10 build 4942. When performing an "XP Pro" search and whenever explorer encounters a password protected *.tib file, it asks for the password and then continues on with the search--until it encounters another password protect file and this sequence is repeated for each password protected file it encounters. At the end of the search, then I get the error message and explorer must be restarted. Explorer bypasses the non-password files and no error message. The search content is not related to the backup file.

My disks have never been indexed and index is not active. If I un-install TI, then search functions normally without the stopping for password and no error message is produced. I have most of my .tib files segregated onto its own disk but the problem is a real nuisance.

Virus scanner (NOD32) turned off when not connected to internet so is not involved with the problem.

You can see an example of the error messages at this link.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1174218#post1174218

9. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Drives have not indexed, never have been.

10. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

I think that K0lo has got the right idea with the problem (at least the problem I have) when Windows search finds the tib files on my D: drive it searches withing the file and does the equivalent of a full C: drive search and then does the exact same with every tib file it finds (in my case around 20) it's no wonder that Windows search throws a tizzy and spits the dummy out.

11. sparkymachine

I don't think i've ever done a global search before but when i do it does eventually crash having trawled thru the tib files. Interesting one you found here. Apart from not doing an search on all drives/partitions or eliminating tib files by size I can't think of a way around it.

12. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Re: Problem running Windows search with TI v11 installed.

You could create a separate partition for storing .tib files on, and then exclude that drive from searches, virus scans, and indexing. Crude, but effective.

13. sparkymachine

Re: Problem running Windows search with TI v11 installed.

This is true but I don't think there is a way to exclude a partition from a search is there - its either a single volume or all.

14. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Depends on which search engine we're talking about. I'm confused about whether Kapiti was referring to the native Windows XP search, to the newer Vista-like Windows Search on XP, or to Vista's search.

On the native XP search you can specify which disk to search (by drive letter), but it's a manual choice. You have to remember not to search the drive that contains .tib files.

It's been a while since I've used the Vista-like Windows Search on Windows XP; tried it, didn't like it, uninstalled it. But I think that you could specify by drive letter which drives to index.

Vista search will definitely let you exclude any disk by drive letter; that's what I'm doing now. I simply disabled indexing on my backup partition and end of problem.

15. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

In my original message I pointed out that I was using Windows XP.

I was unaware that you could download a Vista Windows Search for XP, but I've now downloaded it and I'll try it out later today - thanks for the tip.

I hate it when you need to do a work around just to get software to work correctly. Surely Acronis should have picked this simple problem up when testing.

Yesterday I was talking to a neighbour and mentioned this problem, he rang later to say it was exactly the same on his machine using Windows XP and TI v11.

16. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I read this posting and took an interest in it. Using a second internal drive D for .tib images I did a search of only the C drive, worked perfectly. Repeated the search this time on only the D drive and received the same error (Runtime error; “Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe”).

Using WinXP SP2 and TrueImage 11, build 8053. Nice work in pointing this issue out.

Bruce

Edit:
    Decided to repeat this on a second PC running WinXP SP2 and TrueImage 10, build 4942. I did not get the error message. TI-11 is definitely not ready for prime time, very disappointing. Looks like the Marketing folks got us on this one.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.