programs to copy in use file or locked files looking for

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Oct 24, 2016.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i'm looking for program to copy locked and in use file under w10,8.1 and 7

just an example about locked files , are they registry files ,just an example

some programs claim to be able to do it , and seems they can't ,or i don't use setting correctly

for example fastcopy ,teracopy the free or paid version , they can't do it , at least i was not able to do it

and about file managers Tablacus Explorer or xplorer² can't do it too

what programs can copy in use or locked files ?
    what do you use when do you need to do it ?
    about the registry files ,it's just the first example in my mind
    i googled it but i got only 7 Tools to Copy Locked or In Use Files • Raymond.CC
    thanks

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If file is only in use but not locked, simple copy command from cmd will do the job. Some software needs exclusive access to files and won't copy files that are open. I use Cobian backup and files need to be closed before backup. But that's only because I don't have built-in Volume Shadow copy requester installed. So any solution that use Volume Shadow Copy functionality of Windows will probably do the job.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i'm watching cobian backup 11,but is free or paid version ?
    locked like registry files for example

and about Volume Shadow Copy is built in in w10 ,8.1 and i guess in v7 too , right?

how could you disabled some service ? or some feature

thanks

4. Minimalist

It's free version. IDK if you could backup registry hives files using it (I never tried). Volume Shadow Copy is part of all three versions of Windows.
    I didn't disable service or OS feature, I just didn't install requester - part of Cobian software that communicates with VSC.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    in short cobian can comunicate with shadow copy and you disabled it
    thanks Minimalist , just like you know english is not my native language ,and some translator like google are not the best:thumbd:

6. Minimalist

Don't worry. English is not my first language either and I understand your posts with no problems :)

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If it doesn't have to be within the OS using a Linux LiveCD you can grab & copy any file.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes it's the best solution
    but weird that program like fastcopy (i guess no more updated seeing i haven't found new features) & teracopy can not do it , i guess fastcopy and teracopy are unless they are no so fast compared on windows 10 last update (that have enabled its own antimalware) and not easy to stop it anymore , i guess it should edit the registry or edit policy to disabled it

which distro do you use ? puppy linux?
    thanks

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Your original post asked about in use files. Ime a lot of in use files cannot be copied within the OS no matter what program or method is tried.

I have so many distros I just pick one. Afair as long as the distro works on your hardware almost any distro will do.

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i love amost every linux distros:rolleyes:
    but is there only parted magic that included clone zilla ? but it's so hard adding a better gui ? for me it's no a problem but for many users would be nice to have something similar to image for windows /linux

by the way , off topic do u you know how create an solus os usbstick installation? do you like this distro?

thanks zapjb

11. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

it makes no sense to copy a registry file from windows when windows is running - windows write back on shutdown/restart and merge a temporary file into the main registry file. windows uses several flags for that if system is crashing and similar. when you open the regedit window will use all files to show the system registration - at least exporting/importing the tree you want to save may be the better choice. or run a live cd or multiboot system - with multiboot you can load other structures. sandboxie is doing it this way.

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    it was only an example
    let's say locked files ok?
    copy locked files

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

A lot of distros include Clonezilla. But are you starting new questions? Because Clonezilla has nothing to do with anything previously mentioned.

GIYF!!!
    https://wiki.solus-project.com/Installation

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

when files are locked my first view is using unlocker. it points me out which program is locking. few cases it is locked but no process available, then the process behind may have crashed or is suspended - a reboot should help.

copying offline - eg with a boot medium - there should be no problem. copying within windows VSS (shadow copy provider) should help, any descent backup program can do it. eg AOMEI Backupper
    http://www.backup-utility.com/help/use-vss.html

VSS creates a shadow copy of the locked file with windows options and copy that file. the current opened file is not changed.

There is no entry for VSS for TeraCopy or Supercopier so i assume they cant use VSS. but http://vsscopy.com/ can - and its free.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.