Programs similar to Malware Defender but for 64-bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by stevan4, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevan4

stevan4 Registered Member

Question to Security experts out there:
    What programs are similar to Malware Defender?
    Because MD currently is not working and it will unlikely be developed for 64-bit in future.
    I'm interested in quality and small size (not bloated, like comodo) and the price is in second plan (doesn't matter).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Malware Defender like full-blown programs are not possible for x64 due to patch guard restrictions.

3. stevan4

What about OA's HIPS modul or Private's HIPS?
    C'mon guys there must be some way, some program? I waited so long for Winddows 7 64-bit (till SP1 release date) and now it comes up as wasted money.

Tell me one more time that it's not possible and I'm going back on XP SP3 with MDefender. Can't live without it!

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

LOL, I cannot count how many people who ranted and raved how great a 64-bit system was and now the very same people are regretting their move and some have went BACK to a 32-bit system.

Good luck!

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The Firewalls' HIPS should work fine. Personally I'm using Comodo with no problems in Windows 7 64-bit.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Compared with the likes of Malware Defender & System Safety Monitor, those 64-bit compatible HIPS are not nearly so resistant to being subverted. However, they are better than nothing.

Patch Guard -- because it has obviated the broad-scope protection formerly provided by 32-bit HIPS -- is at least partly the reason why more & more security suites are offering some form of sandboxing.

Also, the era of Patch Guard has enhanced the use of alternate approaches to security. Kees1958 is a prime advocate of those alternatives. Search through his posts and you *might* decide not to even want to use HIPS any longer.

7. stevan4

Patch Guard: must not be punctured by security companies but be used illegally by malware creators.:blink: Ah Microsoft, Microsoft:thumbd:

Thanks a lot Bellgamin

8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

There's an example of the difference between reality and advertising hype, and all the paid promotions saying "how great this will be...." Depending on who is defining the criteria, newer isn't always better, just more profitable for the vendor. This is especially true if control of the OS is important to you. Since you like MD, I'm assuming that it is.

Some of us never left our existing systems for very similar reasons, SSM here, which is quite similar.

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

There is no such x64 application, which can provide your required highest-level defense. Due to this reason, I myself reverted from x64 to x86 after about 1 year use and am enjoying my setup now (OS + Security). You can enforce ASLR (Windows Vista and 7 only) and DEP via EMET and driver signing via group policies and enjoy protection similar to x64, but without patch guard.

10. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,
    Isn't it a question for the antimalware section?
    As far as i know, HIPS for Win 64 are not numerous.
    You should consider one of the rare and made in France HIPS: StormShield personal edition
    More info: http://www.skyrecon.com/en/StormShield-Personal-Edition
    and requirements: http://spe.skyrecon.com/spe/help/En/3.0.00/Prerequis.html
    It's a system expert/classical HIPS whith white/black list approach.
    Can also be mentionned future release of OSSS: http://www.online-solutions.ru/en/products/osss-security-suite.html
    I have myself Vista 64 and Seven 64 and do not use system expert HIPS.
    As pointed out in previous posts, it is possible to harden Windows and to lock it (registry, system file, network) for a high level of security.
    More over i guess that sandbox and virtualization HIPS provide a more complete protection with limited user's interaction and dependence.
    In all case, Security should not be limited to one product :)

Rgds

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Moved Thread to Proper Forum.

12. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I've been looking for something similar to go with Look'n'Stop firewall on 64-bit XP because Privatefirewall doesn't work on it (PFW is very light like L'n'S but also includes HIPS). I just tried a bunch of HIPS type applications on a virtual 64-bit XP mostly to see which would work on it. The one I found the most promising was PE Guard 2, but I'm still new to it. So far all I can say for sure is that it detects new or modified exe when I install something, and asks whether to allow or block the creation or modification of these files.

By the way, if anyone knows the difference between the free and full versions of PE Guard 2, please let me know - I couldn't find that info on their site.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Comodo D+ is the closest you will get to MD (You can install only the D+ and Firewall part).

14. bellgamin

You could be right. However, Online Solutions Security Suite (OSSS) grabs control of one's computer via the MBR -- even before Windows takes hold. Hence I feel that OSSS gives (arguably) a somewhat more impenetrable security than is the case with both D+ and Malware Defender.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes the OSSS is super strong application:thumb: i tried it my self;) but is not free:D

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you guys want to fully lock down your 64 bit system just set AppGuard to high security level;)

17. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

lock everything down and sit down & look at it eh?:argh: :argh:

18. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

AppGuard was one of the programs I tried and it wouldn't install on my 64-bit Windows XP with Service Pack 2. I just tried it again on the real system and I got the same error message as on the virtual machine:

"AppGuard requires that your computer is running at least Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or Windows 7."

That's a weird error message since my computer is running Windows XP Service Pack 2, but I assume it only refers to 32-bit versions. Has anyone else succeeded installing it on 64-bit Windows XP?

Attached is a pic of my system properties (private reg info removed).

Attached Files:

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

strange isue but i bet eirik can help you with that or even barb;)

20. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

AppGuard supports the following hosts:
    - Win XP SP2+, 32 Bit
    - Win Vista SP1, 32 and 64 Bit
    - Win 7, 32 and 64 Bit

I apologize for the confusion regarding Win XP 64 bit. We do not plan to support it.

Cheers,

Eirik

21. bellgamin

Come to think of it, SpyShelter is yet another 64-bit capable HIPS. It has a free version & a paid version (one-time fee for lifetime license).

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I never knew that OSSS was a HIPS so i can't really comment anything :D
    In my "experience" Comodo was the closest :D
    Sorry

24. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

25. SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR Registered Member

i tried blink before ...it was ok but not that perfect
    about mircropoint ...havent heard about it before ..gonna give it a try
    but are they really free !!!! :blink:

blink = 150 MB o_O

for me, i would say OSSS and appdefender but not sure 100% if they run on 64x
    btw, why outpost not mentioned though i believe it's a good HIP too in IMHO

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.