Programs open slow

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by stanr, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanr

    stanr Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Posts:
    66
    I 've had v3 installed for about a month and have noticed an ever increasing amount of time required to open programs.

    Example: Thunderbird email - With EAV enabled it takes 35 seconds to open - With EAV disabled it takes 3 seconds. Opera is pretty much the same

    During the 35 seconds ekrn.exe is consuming 70 to 90 percent of the CPU.

    Another quick question, during a full scan ekrn.exe is cinsuming 98 to 100 percent of CPU for the entire scan which takes about an hour and a half.

    Is this normal?

    Thanks,
    Stan
    CPU = 1.8 ghz
     
  2. Dieselman

    Dieselman Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    Posts:
    795
    I have been using it for longer and have no issue or slow downs. What else is running in the back round? When is the last time you defragged? When is the last time you emptied your temp files?
     
  3. stanr

    stanr Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Posts:
    66
    Dieselman,

    Thanks for your reply

    I timed the above with just the windows services running. No additional security software.

    CFP was disabled as was D+. I monitored the CPU usage with Process Explorer. I also timed it with CFP and D+ enabled and there was no difference in times or CPU usage.


    Defrag is ok testing reports less then 1%. It was done about two weeks ago.

    No new program installs.

    If you mean all temp files, probably once a week. Internet Temp files are deleted upon closing the browser.
     
  4. HAN

    HAN Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    Posts:
    2,080
    Location:
    USA
    I had a major slowdown with Java applications. After weeks of suffering through it, it turns out I had a corrupt installation. I uninstalled and removed everything I could find related to Eset and then re-installed. I could not believe the difference! A complete turnaround. Could this be your issue too... o_O
     
  5. stanr

    stanr Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Posts:
    66
    HAN,

    Are you refering to your install of EAV being corrupt?

    A clean install is on my short list. I'm on dialup, a slow one, so the update is a long process. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but it seems that prospect is moving up the very short list fast.

    Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
     
  6. HAN

    HAN Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    Posts:
    2,080
    Location:
    USA
    Yes, I'm refering to NOD32 v3.

    I too put off a complete uninstall/reinstall, thinking it was not something I wanted to do. In fact, since I had never had a bad install with 2.7, it never really occured to me that it could be the cause of my issue. But another Wilders member mentioned it and I finally decided I had to try something, rather than just continuing to accept things as they were.

    I can't say with certainty that it will cure your issues but it did mine. It really made a world of difference...
     
  7. stanr

    stanr Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Posts:
    66
    Han,

    I finally bit the bullet and did a clean install of EAV. In as much as rumor had it that a new version was coming out I waited till now.

    I also took the opportunity to do a clean install of my firewall as it too had a new version released.

    Prior to installing the firewall I checked the programs that I was having a major slow down with to insure that EAV was ok. The time of opening has been reduced by 35 seconds to one minute for each. In other words back to normal. Having then installed the firewall all remained normal. You were correct as ekrn.exe is back to a normal cpu usage.

    Thanks again for your help.
    Stan
     
  8. rolarocka

    rolarocka Guest

    I had exactly the same problem with V3and .jar archives and other archives like .pak files. I had a corrupt installation due to importing of earlier V3 settings. Now i made fresh install and didnt import any settings. Everything is working flawlessly. Its like night and day. The corrupt settings file was 57KB big, now its 34KB with the same settings.o_O
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.