Program will not uninstall

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by mjr6638, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjr6638

mjr6638 Registered Member

I did not authorize the download and installation of this program and I have no idea where this prorgam came from, but it appears this is the support forum. I fired up my work laptop and I have this new program now in my system tray, Prevx 3.0, and it says I have 10 infections and wants me to buy the program.

There is no way to end the process in the task manager. Any attempt to end this process fails. I tried the Prevx removal tool, and it said it was successful in removing it, but as soon as I rebooted, the program starts automatically again.

This is my work laptop, and I have no idea how in the world this program got on my machine, but doing so without my consent or my company's consent is a violation of the law. I do not have access to "Add/Remove Programs" on my machine, and this software did not come with it's own built-in uninstaller.

Can someone please assist me with the removal of this program from my machine?

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We do not have any means of installing Prevx 3.0 automatically so we suspect you may have been infected with a rogue antimalware product parading itself as Prevx (or you've used one of our other products - Prevx CSI or Prevx Edge - and have been automatically upgraded to 3.0).

However, if the software you are using is the legitimate version, you can normally uninstall it with Add/Remove Programs but because you don't have access to it, you can run the command:

Start > Run > and type:
    "c:\program files\prevx\prevx.exe" /prop UNINSTALL=AUTO

This will prompt you to allow uninstallation, but if you do not want to use Prevx, you should download another antimalware product to clean your system.

3. thehudd

thehudd Registered Member

I, too, am unable to uninstall the program. I installed it as a curiosity and trial and when I tried to uninstall it, no listing in the add-remove area and no listing in the programs of the start menu. Never the less, it is running and I can't get rid of it. Vista Home Premium SP2, 64 bit. Help please. I can't reinstall the program, either, it just opens it up. Couldn't get the command prompt command to work as well.

4. thehudd

Nevermind, my clumsy fingers messed up the command. All well. Still, it's unusual to not have it show up in the programs or uninstall list.

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

That is quite odd :doubt: We do periodically hear users with similar complaints but have never actually found a common denominator between them. Could you let me know what other security software you have installed?

6. thehudd

F-Secure Security Technology Preview.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.