program not installed after recovery

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by azpedaki, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azpedaki

azpedaki Registered Member

greetings,

i am a newbie here and also to image...but fairly versed in pc stuff. my question relates to the recovery of a file folder with associated program info...seems that one of the programs i am trying to recover is not "installed" on the pc following a recovery to the original file location. i'm stumped because i did go through ahd register the dll and ocx files. files in the sys32 were also added. the problem seems to be that the program will not open an access database (mdb?) because it cannot find it, but the file itself is located in the appropriate location. i noticed that the program was not registered/installed on the pc at this point.

how do i properly recover program files so that they are functional and the pc sees them as being installed on the machine?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Are you doing a full system backup or a file and folder backup?

All programs that were installed prior to the full system backup image being made will be restored when you restore the image. However, you cannot restore programs with a file and folder backup.

Programs put files in many locations including the folders named for them, the Windows folder or subfolders and add many entries to the Registry. Therefore, you have to use a full system backup to backup programs and the operating system as well as your data.

File and folder backups will work well for data only.

Note, that when you restore a full system backup, the system is returned to the state it was in at the time the backup image was made. Any changes since that time to the drive or partition restored will be lost.

3. azpedaki

azpedaki Registered Member

Appreciate the feedback...however...

To answer the last post, i'm backing up individual program files.

Acronis Image does in fact allow you to image individual program file folders in working state without imaging an entire disk...I have done this many times and have been successful...even placing them on another computer which did not originally contain these files to prove it to myself. DLL and OCX registration was not necessary during the process.

So back to the original question as to why I am not able to get the same results with this particular program...particularly in terms of it not being able to identify a correctly placed mdb database?

I believe it has something to do with tx text control, with which I am not familiar. Apparently this program was written in VB ( I think)...it does envoke a shell enviornment if that is of importance to anyone.

So......how does Acronis view and image a shell enviornment? Is there a workaround?

Someone with more experience please help here...I need to figure this out regardless if i am copying a single folder or not.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, if backing up individual programs worked for you, I am amazed. Since most Windows programs require Registry entries and registered DLLs, that won't normally work. I think you have been very lucky or are magical.

I suppose you could attempt to manually edit the Registry and register the DLLs (being sure you backed up the DLLs that were dropped into various folders under Windows as well as into the program folders, but I don't think you will be successful with a program of any complexity such as MS Word or Adobe Acrobat.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello azpedaki,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that jmk94903 is correct. Most coplex programs embed into the operating system tightly, and moving their files to another system doesn't guarantee their work.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.