"Program Modules Have Been Updated" dilemma

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Doodler, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

I've been using EAV version 3.0.621 for close to two years now. It has given me no problems and plays very nicely with my the other security programs on my system (Sandboxie and SAS on demand).

My subscription to Nod32 expires in about a week. I still don't have a comfort level to upgrade to version 4. So, if I subscribe for another year, it would be with the intention of staying with v3.0.621.

As noted in these threads here, here, and here, last spring and summer some people (myself included) began to report getting repeated pop-up notifications that Nod32's "program modules have been updated".

I do like getting the messages telling me my AV signatures are being updated. But I don't like these program module messages. They are annoying and pop-up several times a day depending on how long I am logged onto the internet.

So, as I ponder my decision whether to renew my Nod32 subscription for another year, I thought I'd check back in this forum and ask if anything has changed regarding (a) why I continue to get these messages and (b) if there's anything that can be done about it (other than reinstalling).

2. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hi Doodler,

Does checking the parameter shown below affect those messages?

Notify1.jpg

If not, this may help.

BFG

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Disable the Program Module Updates if you desire not to want them.
    I know of no other way of doing this.

Attached Files:

4. BFG

BFG Registered Member

I believe those are the Program Component Updates that will be affected, not the Program Modules.

BFG

5. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Module updates happen quite infrequently. It sounds like you have a corrupted installation. If you wish to stay with v3, why not use v 3.0.695? Export your settings and do a complete uninstall/install.

6. Doodler

Hi BFG. I had been thinking about making the edits you suggest, but wouldn't they disable the notifications telling me my AV signatures are being updated? I prefer to keep seeing the AV signature messages.

I'm not sure how my installation could be corrupted. I've had v3.0.621 installed and running happily on my system for two years and these annoying "program modules have been updated" messages didn't start appearing on my system until approximately 8 months ago.

7. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Fact is program modules don't happen that frequently, certainly not multiple times a day.

Why you don't want to reinstall to fix the issue you are having? There is also a newer V3 (3.0.695) version out where you can upgrade to if you don't like V4 for whatever reason.

8. Doodler

A legitimate question. My answer: I just wanted to keep things simple and was hoping there would be an easy fix. I'm gun-shy about uninstalling and reinstalling and have had both positive and negative experiences doing so with other software. Maybe I'm making mountains out of mole hills.

It's starting to look more and more like I'll need to bite the bullet and do an uninstall/reinstall if I choose to subscribe for another year. I've read Eset's knowledge base regarding the steps to follow. They look pretty straightforward compared to the pc surgery I had to perform a couple of years ago to get Comodo with HIPS off my system.

The only reason I'm uncomfortable with EAV v4 is because of the mixed reviews I've read on this forum.

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

These would be the naysayers, though, they are allowed an opinion yet those with Business Critical machines wait with bated-breath for new builds.
    You are encouraged to do so, upgrade, that would be.

10. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

If it's a desktop or laptop - upgrade to V4. I can't think of a single reason not to, not now that 4.0.474 is out.

Just my 2p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.