Program components update setup

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by toxinon12345, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I think the only usable option here is "ask before downloading program components" which should be turned in a checkbox and checked by default.

If I want to disable/enable PCU, I can use the scheduler.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I believe the option can be set at installation when performing a custom installation or changed at any time through ESET's user interface.

The default setting seems to be the best choice for the majority of home users, which is why it was chosen.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. toxinon12345

[Enable/disable] the scheduled PCU task=[Check/Uncheck] the regularly check program components option=[always update/never update] program components.

That is confusing.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

To me it's perfectly clear. What exactly do you perceive as confusing?

5. toxinon12345

Well, I ticked the "regularly check program components" and selected the "never update program components", what will be the result?

Imagine then the following case: "Always update program components" and "regularly check program components" unticked, what will be the result?

6. Marcos

If I get you right, in this case information about the new version along with a download link would appear in the main panel when a newer version is available. No PCU would ever be downloaded and installed automatically.
    In this case, you would not be notified in the main panel when a new version is available. However, when ESET releases a PCU it would be downloaded and installed automatically.

7. toxinon12345

So that means the functionality is the same than in v4.
    Whats the purpose of displaying notifications performed by the "regularly check program components" then? This is new in v5.

8. Marcos

You are notified whenever a new version becomes available. You will be able to install it simply by clicking a link instead of downloading the installer from the web and entering your username and password.

9. toxinon12345

If I already have the "ask before downloading program components", I dont get why I would need such notification.

10. Marcos

Right. But remember that PCUs are not released frequently, hence the new option might come in handy for those who want to be notified about the availability of new versions without going to ESET's website.

11. toxinon12345

Thanks Marcos for your time. :)

12. toxinon12345

I suppose this option is for checking program versions released trough installers, complementing the check trough PCU's. Is right that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.