Program Components Not Updating

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gsouders, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsouders

gsouders Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I have several clients using NOD32 Antivirus. I installed the latest version available at the time which was 4.0.134.0. I enabled program component updating if available on all machines. However none of the machines have updated to the latest version 4.0.424.0. They are still running 4.0.134.0. All machines are successfully updating the virus definitions on a regular basis. Can anyone explain why this is occurring?

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Version updates still need to be done manually, at present only virus definitions and module updates come via the update servers.

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello Gsouders,

The difference between different builds of v4 (.314 to .324) is small and you are only recommended to download and install the latest build number if you are having problems with the build of v4 you are currently using. As long as you are using v4 (the latest version) and it's working normally then there's no reason to update to the absolute latest build of v4. The difference between the builds is usually just minor fixes to glitches only a handful of users may be experiencing. For these reasons, ESET doesn't push these build updates as mandatory auto updates. However since v4 is a new release, you might want to consider upgrading to the latest build of v4 for increased performance and stability.

Thus, if you want to update to the latest build you must manually download and install the latest build of v4 from ESET's website.

You can either install it over the top which usually works or play it safe and remove it before reinstalling. I would download the setup file, remove the current installation of ESET NOD32 Antivirus and then install the latest build of 4 - 4.0.424.0

Remove v4:
    -->Start>All Programs>ESET>ESET NOD32 Antivirus>Uninstall.
    -->Restart your computer.
    -->Delete the ESET folder in C:\Program Files

ESET's Knowledgebase article on how to remove EAV/ESS in further detail. This is only if over-the-top install and/or using the quick uninstaller / restart computer method fails. It involves deleting some extra hidden folders and registry entries.

If there is ever a major glitch that the majority of users experience, the fix for it will be considered a program component update so all users will get it automatically. Updates to different modules of the program like the antivirus and antispyware scanner module and the virus signnature database are given out automatically.

Please let me know if this answers your questions or if I can clarify anything for you!

Regards,

Mark.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. gsouders

gsouders Registered Member

Thank you stackz and xMarkx,

I now understand how things work. I would like to have my clients running the latest and greatest. However I think that one must evaluate the changes in minor version releases before a manual update is justified. Is there a change log posted somewhere to evaluate the changes? Thanks for the support...

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Rifter

Rifter Registered Member

I tried to research this yesterday, and couldn't find anything conclusive. I was JUST about ready to make a post about this exact subject. Thanks to gsouders for asking the question and to xMarkx for answering.

7. aapapapa

aapapapa Registered Member

Program update - to be sure ESET suggests accomplishing update/upgrade by clean install - uninstall old one, clean registry & Co, install new one.
    Just to be sure, or in cases where simple installation over the existing one doesn't work.

In many cases existing personalization of eset solution (settings) are wished to be preserved during PCU - cu within the same main version or from lower main version to current one.
    In such cases it is not possible (or it is a time/work intensiv task) to reproduce the personalization manually because it evoluated across a long time.

For users as mentioned above the exporting eset settings to a disc file prior program version update/upgrade and importing from the disc file after program version update would be an acceptable way.
    Does such attempt conflict with suggested clean install?
    If the non-clean-install update doesn't work it can be caused by faulty settings.
    Clean install should help to clean-up all potential interferer.
    But final settings import would introduce the interfere again.
    What is ESET's statement to this problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.