Processguard prevents internet access when under high CPU load

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by jp10558, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp10558

jp10558 Guest

So, prior to installing processguard, I was able to still browse the internet while Acronis True Image made a backup (which pegs my CPU to 100% for some 15 minutes or so).

When processguard is running, I can't browse the net at all under heavy CPU load - the net shows no access.

If I disable processguard, it works as expected.

It's annoying to have to disable processguard when running a backup, or doing anything that pegs CPU time. Any ideas?

2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

I'm 'guessing' that you need to give the arconis exe's extra permissions (in the 'Protection' tab). I had a similar thing with regdefend, where I denied a program permission to modify the registry. That program then kept trying to access the registry, causing regdefend to spike the cpu to near 100%.

Both programs work on kernel drivers, which only use cpu when activated by an interaction from another program.

If you put PG into learning mode while doing the image, it should sort everything out for you.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you don't disable PG it might ATI might not copy the ProcessGuard Dat files. THen your image won't have any PG settings. WHen ever I image,run a backup, or do a First Defense ISR copy, I always disable PG, and my AV. Speeds things up. Of course this means being off line.

Pete

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

PG does not have any features to restrict network access so it would seem likely that the problem is related to other software you have running. Do you use a firewall and, if so, which one? Do you have any log entries for either PG or the firewall which may indicate where the problem lies?

Also filescanners (anti-virus and anti-trojan) may not play well with imaging software, possibly resulting in multiple scans and excessive CPU utilisation. Disabling background scans may alleviate the CPU usage. Of course, if you are disabling security software, you should disconnect from the Internet first to minimise the chances of malware infection.

5. jp10558

jp10558 Guest

Well, I'm using Opera 8.01 and Proxomitron. Anytime my CPU is spiking (currently using DVDShrink 3.2 - spike CPU). With protection enabled, can't access the net - Proxomitron gives 404 errors - a timeout on the network access. As soon as I disable protection in Process Guard, everything works normally.

Suffice it to say this is very annoying. If I have to disable process guard for 30 minutes or more at a time as stuff runs in the background, it's not doing me a lot of good.

DVDShrink is set to Idle priority in Process Explorer from sysinternals, I have tried setting Opera and Proxomitron to above average with that - no change.

6. Paranoid2000

Is only Proxomitron affected or do other applications (e.g. email) also timeout? Can you Ping sites to confirm connectivity?

Your response suggests that you are not running a firewall, which would be an unusual setup since ProcessGuard is best deployed in conjunction with one. If you are, please give details which one and check the logs (both firewall and PG).

7. jp10558

jp10558 Guest

I'm running a firewall. Anyway here goes the list. First, mail also sits there/times out.

Here's what I've got - Processguard 3.150, Sygate Pro 5.5, Netlimiter 1.3(not set to limit proxomitron, mail, or Opera.

Also running Spybot Teatimer.

That's all the net access stuff going. I have NOD32 2.5.25 installed, but IMON and AMON disabled (I only use it for on demand scanning).

8. Paranoid2000

And what do you see in your firewall and PG logs?

9. jp10558

jp10558 Guest

Nothing actually. ProcessGuard doesn't show any new programs trying to start, and no blocked requests.

Sygate doesn't show any connections to the test website, much less any blocked. And Proxomitron throws a 404 error.

Again, this only happens under very high CPU load, but I can fix it by disabling Process Guard's protection.

10. cosmicvoid

cosmicvoid Registered Member

I found that Teatimer slowed my system down so badly that I disabled it. It may be contributing to your high load problems. Try disabling Teatimer instead of PG, and see if there is a difference.

11. jp10558

jp10558 Guest

I've been using teatimer for quite some time without problems. I fail to see why as soon as I enable *process guard* under high load, a totally separate program which has been functioning without any issue for years, *Tea Timer* would cause problems.

Or, why, if it's teatimer, disabling process guard protection immediately fixes the problem.

12. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Is PG generating log alerts ? lots of executions, anything like that ?

Please try disabling other apps as suggested to work out what is going on, or consider resetting PG config and re-learning all trusted programs

13. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Netlimiter ?? well how about disable that first :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.