ProcessGuard Locked!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Snook, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snook

Snook Registered Member

ProcessGuard has locked itself. No password works to unlock. The only access I have is the lock/unlock feature that prompts me to enter the password because ProcessGuard has been locked (not the extact phrase per-say). Is this a known issue?

Note: Uninstalling and reinstalling ProcessGuard does not resolve the problem.

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Assuming you didn't enter a password, did you try a blank or space for the password. When we beta tested most of us tried it to checked it worked. I myself don't lock it as I am the sole user of my computer. But to answer your question, I don't believe anyone encountered an issue of it locking itself up.

Pete

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Snook, No reports of Process Guard locking itself here :(

I have used the lock / unlock feature on XP home SP1, XP Pro SP1 & SP2 RC1, also Server 2003.

Could anyone else have physical access to your pc?

Also have you been using "Switch user accounts"

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

You can get around it if you don't mind losing your protection list OR you are good with a hex editor. Simply boot into safe mode and delete pguard.dat, your Process Guard will then be unlocked.

5. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Deleted the .dat file and all back to normal. I don't know what could of caused this. Nobody but me here.

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hows the health of the disk drive ?

7. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Sorry for the delayed response. Disk health of drive is good per IBM's Drive Fitness Test based on SMART disk technology.

8. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

Just a thought but if it happens again check to make sure you didn’t switch to user mode by accident.

9. Snook

Snook Registered Member

...in response to the previous post -

"User mode...? Could you be more specific (i.e., is this a setting in ProcessGuard)?

10. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

Oops. my bad. Too much bouncing back and forth on these forums. I was thinking of System Safety Manager, sorry.

11. clay645

clay645 Registered Member

Try going to Windows/System32 and delete the pguard.dat file after you uninstall. There is also a driver called procguard.sys file in the Windows/System32/drives folder that you will have go to DOS to delete because Windows won't let you delete its drivers. This should give you a clean install.

12. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I had this LOCKED issue happen to me yesterday (1-June-04). Here's what I did just prior to it occurring.

I needed to uninstall an old version of Program xxx and upgrade to a new version of Program xxx. So,

1. Turned PG 2.0 Protection OFF.
    2. Scanned through my PG Program Protection list and removed all entries pertaining to the Program xxx I was going to uninstall.
    3. Scanned through my PG Program Checksums list and removed all entries pertaining to the Program xxx I was going to uninstall.
    4. Closed all running programs and disabled NAV 2004.
    5. Using START-SETTINGS-CONTROL PANEL-ADD/REMOVE programs, uninstalled Program xxx.
    6. Installed the new version of Program xxx.
    7. Rebooted computer.

On reboot, PG blocked several of the starting programs. When I opened PG GUI, it was LOCKED and requested a password. Nothing worked to unlock it...even a blank. :doubt:

8. Went into SAFE MODE.
    9. Uninstalled PG 2.0
    10. Rebooted computer and my normal startup programs loaded. New version of Program xxx loaded and worked perfectly WAD.

Fortunately, on 31-May-04, I had gone into SAFE MODE and saved off pguard.dat and pghash.dat.

11. Closed all running programs and disabled NAV 2004
    12. Reinstalled PG 2.0.
    13. Went into SAFE MODE and replaced pguard.dat and pghash.dat with my saved 31-May-04 copies.
    14. Rebooted computer. It booted up normally and PG 2.0 was back to normal.
    15. Placed the needed files for Program xxx in my PG Program Protection list with the same allows and options as the previous version.
    16. Let the MD5 alerts occur using ALLOW so Program xxx would be able to function properly.

Everything was back to normal.

I don't know what happened to cause all this. I have used this same procedure several times with PG 2.0 and no adverse problems. o_O PG 2.0 has been stable on my system since it's initial release- excepting the Close Message Handling and Global Hook known issues.

Moral of story- Keep a fairly current version of PGuard.dat and PGhash.dat saved away somewhere so it can be used if needed. :eek:

REQUEST- Give us a way to save away PGuard.dat and PGhash.dat without having to go into SAFE MODE. *puppy*

Dell Dimension 8200, Windows XP-SP1a Home Edition, Pentium IV 2.6 ghertz, 1.5 gbytes DRAM, 2 mbit cable modem(always connected), Linksys BEFSX41 Firewall/Router, ATI 9800 Pro graphics. All programs at the latest version levels (OS and otherwise).

TDS-3
    PE 1.8
    PG 2.0
    WG 3
    CS 1.07
    TrojanHunter 3.9, Build 807
    Norton Internet Security 2004
    AOL 9.0 Optimized SE V4156.910
    SpywareBlaster 3.1
    SpywareGuard 2.2
    MRU Blaster 1.5
    Pest Patrol 4.4.2.7
    Adware6 Plus 6.181
    Spybot S&D 1.3
    CookieWall 1.01
    CMS BounceBack 5.5 (automatic daily system total backup)
    Perfect Disk 6, Build 31
    Window Washer 5.5
    RegVac 2.04
    Ace Utilities 2.3.2
    TuneUp 2004
    jv16 PowerTools 1.4.1.248
    ThumbsPlus 7, beta 6
    Startup Delayer
    MS Office 2003

13. nick s

nick s Registered Member

According to this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=34561 it is not necessary to go into Safe Mode. But I noticed that when I copied the files to my desktop, the MD5 of the pguard.dat files did not match:

The string [C:\WINDOWS\system32\pguard.dat] has the following Checksum(s)

MD5 - A4AB6FB4FF06FF71428C57465069E6CF
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The file <C:\Documents and Settings\Nicholas\Desktop\pguard.dat> has the following Checksum(s)

MD5 - 9B56DA62ED148B5581421B81544233A2
    The file <C:\WINDOWS\system32\pghash.dat> has the following Checksum(s)

MD5 - 2F8D79794F6FED88DDF3FD13DCCFA388
    The file <C:\Documents and Settings\Nicholas\Desktop\pghash.dat> has the following Checksum(s)

MD5 - 2F8D79794F6FED88DDF3FD13DCCFA388

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.