ProcessGuard and cool web search

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by mainer, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mainer

mainer Registered Member

Will ProcessGuard prevent cool web search trojan and other malware from installing on a computer.

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

it could be but not exactly. it will block dll getting compromised/exes getting changed by malware but prevent malware gettign installed... ... only if you check: block new progs.

and then again...it is not a antispyware suite: it is far more beyound that . it is what every pc should have...

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Some "CoolWebSearch" variants add themselves to the AppInit_DLLs registry key. We added protection for this since they are quite common and very nasty. In fact these are some of the nastiest adware programs, they also install a second file as a BHO (Browser Helper Object). Personally I install my needed BHO programs (Adobe Acrobat reader for example) just in case I use IE, and then disable installing of new BHO's with IE's advanced settings! Not using IE is still another good option, these search hijackers don't attack other browsers.

In this state ProcessGuard WILL stop CoolWebSearch variants and they can't infect you - since both attacks methods are stopped. If you have been infected already though, you need to have someone check a HijackThis log to remove the infection first, and its quite possible there are other infections which need to be removed too.

4. mainer

mainer Registered Member

Thank You very much for the reply's to my question. I am not having a problem with coolwebsearch,but am looking for more defensive applications to battle the "dark side", of the internet. I use Firefox primarly for most browsing, and TDS 3 for Trojans.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Mainer, ProcessGuard can protect you from far worse threats such a rootkits, they can make CWS look like a holiday :)

Cheers. Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.