ProcessGuard alternative?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gracie123, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hello,

I really like the features of ProcessGuard available from a company called DiamondCS. However, I don't need all the other features and I would just like to find a program (free or not) that only protects from malware shutting down my antivirus/antispyware apps.

Does anyone know of a program that would provide this feature?

Thanks alot,

Gracie :)

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I f you haven't paid for PG full, the free version will have very few options, and one of them is to 'protect from termination' whatever program you choose. You can disable the other options available.

If your question is related to the fact that PG is causing problems on your system then another HIPS should be considered: SSM free/paid, Ghost Security Suite - APP Defend, Online Armour.

3. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

4. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I use the free version of System Safety Monitor. It works great and uninstalls without trouble. The same can not be said for ProcessGuard, in my past experience.

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    AppDefend from Ghost Security

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
  8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

It is not freeware anymore but a one-time paid program.
    There is a 15-day trial of version 1.1.
    There is also a beta version: http://www.proactive-hips.com/download/pssetup_beta120.rar
    Support is very good and fast. Either on there support forum or personal via IM/PM.

I am using it from the beginning. Few issues I had were solved within 24 hours.
    I think this is a very promising program, but better judge for yourself.
    HTH,

Gerard

10. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

if you have some time wait about a month. There will be a new version of Neoava Guard. Its freeware and very powerfull. I think Aman will release a debug version end of August. Have a look at his Blogg

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

13. bellgamin

OnlineArmor {OA} is good for what it does. What it does NOT do is to protect applications from termination by malware. Neither does System Safety Monitor {SSM}.

PG protects against application termination. So does AppDefend. OA & SSM do NOT. Therefore, AFAIK, AppDefend is the only alternative to PG. I keep hoping to discover other alternatives -- that's why I am monitoring this thread.

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Bellgamin

Latest paid version of SSM indeed does prevent termination. Just tried to confirm it.

Pete

15. bellgamin

Absolutely untrue! No offense,Peter, but do a bit more research. Like at Hither and Thither.;)

Umm-- perhaps you meant that SSM prevents its own termination? If so, true -- but PG prevents termination of any & all specified programs. SSM does NOT. I wish it did. Hopefully, some day it shall. Ojala que si!

16. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Hi bellgamin
    Do not be so hard against SSM ;)

If you read your own thread you'll see that it does prevent you from some program terminaison.

However it does not cover program messaging close.
    (BTW AppDefend curent beta does not either, but alpha does )

If what you wanted is passive protection like "block all app from killing X" then you are true, only PG does that. Both GSS and SSM use active "Do you want this program to allow killing others programs? Alwais or Ask "

17. bellgamin

Yes, that is what I want. Why do I want it? Because that is the kind of protection that is NEEDED in order truly to protect apps from shut-down by malware.

This capability would be real handy if malware programmers would submit the precise identities of their malware to me in advance of infecting my box, so that I could instruct SSM to block them from terminating my security programs.

Don't get me wrong: I am a user & admirer of both OA & SSM -- but those programs do NOT afford the same *type* of protection-from-termination provided by PG. It isn't a kindness -- either to the potential users of those programs, or to the programs themselves -- to hold forth that they do.

By the way, I also hold the opinion that a security program which allows itself to be terminated isn't really all that much of a loss. Think about it. :cool:

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Bellgamin

I stand corrected, you are absolutely right. However I still consider SSM, OA and Ghost superior to PG. Couple of issues for me. First although it was minor PG did conflict with FDISR. Also after 3.15, when i played with the beta's the BSOD's were back in full force. Given Wayne's lack of response, I just got tired of fooling with it.

At this stage of the game true SSM doesn't protect an applicaton from being terminated, but in order for some malware to terminate an application, it first has to run itself. You can lock things down pretty tight with SSM and the others. Nice thing in particular about SSM is the child/parent or actor/object control. OA keeps Active X under control. So for me termination isn't as big an issue as it was when PG first started.

Pete

19. bellgamin

Too too true, Pete my man. That's why I said...
    By the way, I do not use PG myself, because it doesn't play nicely with other children. That is the reason I am hanging out at this thread which (if you recall) is entitled "ProcessGuard alternative?"

Dadgum it, AFAIK nobody has yet offered an equivalent alternative. Perhaps there is none... at present.

aloha.. bellgamin
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Computer Definition:
    Loop: See loop

20. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

PG plays very nicely 'with other children' for me. I have been using PG since v2 and I have never, neverhad it conflict with any other pgm, security-related or otherwise, that I run.

As far as I am concerned it is the best at what it does out there. Having said that it is not as complete as SSM or ProSecurity (one to watch in my opinion). Therefore the 'ProcessGuard Alternatives?' title is a little bit of a misleading question as I would not say that SSM & PG are absolute equivalents.

You just need to decide what you need and then go for what covers it.:D

21. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

What about using the new version of PG Free with say ZA Free or Comodo Firewall, and either Antivir PE or AOL AVS as an Antivirus? Anyone think this would be enough protection for the average user?

22. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Got to agree, if someone asked me if SSM or GSS provides termination protection I would say yes, because they handle by far the most common methods.

Oh sure it doesn't cover WM_close, but PG's solution is really annoying and I doubt many users use it...

23. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

A large hole in the market then?:) Wonder why such a usefull app has not be developed.

24. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Gamespy doesn't like PG to be on any system. It automatically blacklists you from any servers. (Basically tars everyone as cheats):thumbd:

25. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Like I said...You just need to decide what you need and then go for what covers it.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.