Processes Explained? That would be worth the $$

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Mar 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

OK. I'll reach into my purse right now for the $30 if you can tell me if PE can do better than this.

I'm currently using Active Ports (a freebie), and my complaint is that there are a number of processes labeled "System", "MSTask", and "SvcHost". Now, I haven't a clue what these are. They seem to have legitimate names (if that really mattered). Are these legitimate processes that are "Listening" or have "Establihsed" communications in progress?

I don't want to pay $30 for another piece of software that just gives me more questions - I want one that will give ma answers (and tell me what to do about it), and be accurate with it's assertions.

2. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Hi Dazed_and_Confused :).

Port Explorer can do much more than Active Ports :D. My first screenshot (in a following post) will show you how PE identifies processes, and my 2nd screeny shows some of the advanced options - such as socket spying....very good if you aren't sure that a process is a valid one.

Don't forget that you can download a trial of Port Explorer ;).

Hope that helps so far....regards,
    Jade :)

3. Bowserman

1st Screenshot ;).

Attached Files:

• PE1.GIF
      PE1.GIF
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Bowserman

2nd screeny ;).

Attached Files:

• PE2.GIF
      PE2.GIF
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
  5. Dazed_and_Confused

Bowserman,

I'm trying it out now as we speak (uh...type). It does provide more info, and possibly enough to be of assistance. One feature that is really nice (at least I think it would) is the utility that tells you what the port is that is open. Unfortunately, that utility is diabled in the trial version.

Do you know of a URL that I can visit that might explain what the various port numbers typically are used for? I can use that in the interim, while I continue with the evaluation.

Thanks! So far, so good.

6. Bowserman

Sure :)....here's a few:

http://lists.gpick.com/portlist/lookup.asp

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

http://www.portsdb.org/bin/portsdb.cgi

Regards,
    Jade.

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Bowserman,

Let's just say I'm sold. This is a nice tool. It's nice to see something function as promised. I'm going to have to give the DiamondCS items a look.

- A satisfied Customer

8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Dazed, Jade...

Nice postings Jade, pic worth a 1000 words mate. :D

Dazed, you wont' regret purchasing any of DCS products.... probably one of the most, if not the most, reliable companies on the net.

TDS3; PE; WormGuard... gotta get those basics for sure...

Have fun learning dazed. ;)

@ Jade, catch ya on sometime mate.

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Nice! Good screenies too.

I use the automatic whois a lot too! and the automatic resolve, so i see immediately who is on a socket, the country where they come from and if there might be reason for concern in the first place, the hidden connections to look extra if they are ok or might be suspicious, and i do love the socket spy to know the packets.

10. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

If you play online games or do the odd Peer to Peer network thing then knowing what country all the people you are connected to is pretty cool in my opinion. No other "similar" program has a similar feature :)

Socket spy is also very handy and the bandwidth limiter I use all the time to. You know when the developer uses the product they make it must be good. And I'd say I have used it multiple times each day since it was released. :)

-Jason-

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Jason, after system reboot first start TDS for the exec protection, second PE and it stays up all time, socket spy i love, so i know what my firewall is checking when calling home (just simply if an update is available), and lots more. I promoted it countless times to network and system admins, the more fun to do so when those people are really experienced as they know immediately what it does and how good it serves their needs filling gaps from other available tools they have, and with the ease for so many of us normal end users.
    With PE i can see if every process which should be starting has started correctly indeed, if not i reboot again.

12. elcid123

elcid123 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.