Process protection for Win 9x?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Pigman, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I've noted that Process Guard wouldn't work on Win98, as it is inherently insecure in various ways. Are there any process protection programs for Win98 out there? (I mean Win98 Gold, not Win98 SE.) I'm not asking for something that protects apps from everything, just something to reduce the risk of malware messing up my security apps...

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If there is a prog like you want I am sure it will be at the link. It will take a little looking because there about 1600 apps. there.

Winsite

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Perhaps there's a tool to enforce some kind of protection, but don't forget that the win98 Operating System is not a Windows NT style OS. It's built on top of MS Dos and has no protection whatsoever.
    Best protection would be to close front and back doors, scan frequently and use less vulnerable applications than the default Win98 set.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

System Safety Monitor is supposed to be "95%" compatible with Win98/ME so may be worth a try. The protection it can give is limited since it can be shut down just like any other process, but it can give you good control over what programs are run otherwise and does provide good Registry monitoring also.

Since the main site is pretty slow, you should consider using GKWeb's mirror instead to download it. However given the past difficulties you have reported in the past Pigman, I would suggest caution - if it does not work on your system it may cause real problems (though this can apply to any application firewall). Use the likes of XXCopy to make a backup of your system first.

5. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Had SSM, but uninstalled it. It was doing weird stuff, slowing down my system and things like that.

Thanks for the link, BigC73542. I'll have to take a look at that...

As for closing front and back doors... well, I followed GRC.com's port unbinding instructions a while ago, I have a cable router, and (fingers crossed) I think I've finally gotten ZoneAlarm to work.

For applications, I use Firefox exclusively for a browser (MS Updates don't work on my computer, but I can just download patches from the MS website - I check the site regularly). I trashed Outlook Express - or parts of it - a while ago. (It's still there, along with its uninstaller, but the shortcuts to it are all gone. Still looking for that "Uninstall OE" app... I know I saw it somewhere, maybe I should look for it on BigC73542's link...) Also got rid of Window$ Media Player, since a) it's slower, more piggish, and in general more annoying than Quicktime for Windows, and b) it's been doing nothing but freezing up my computer for a while now. (Could malware of some sort have screwed it up?) Still looking for a media player that can read a wide range of stuff, though - QT is unable to read stuff made for WinMedia. (Could use RealPlayer, but it is very slow on my computer.)

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Check the Good free media player? thread for lots of suggestions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.