Process ID ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Big T, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big T

Big T Registered Member

Hello all, I'm new the the world of firewalls and this forum. I recently had to install a firewall after reformating, to close ports due to the msql slammer worm. I have no problems with it now but I do have a question?. When I click on my UDP to veiw the last blocked objects there is one that gives me the ports and the IP's and allso a process ID. The process ID is 1072 and I was just wondering what that ment, there is also one that is 4?. Any help to this old newb would be appreciated thx:D

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

This will be the PID (Process Identifier)
    Open "Task Manager" select "View....Select columns, and place a tick next to "PID". This will give the referance as to what pgm as what PID.

Do a google search.....
    One site with info http://www.answers.com/topic/process-identifier

3. Big T

Big T Registered Member

Thx Stem,so when I see a PID # that doesnt come up in my taskmanager but it does in my firewall..should I be blocking the port that it was comming in?

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

So it is inbound UDP packets that are being blocked,
    There is no need to block a port if the firewall is already blocking the inbound, it is more a need to know why the inbound is being blocked (and what from).
    More info please:-
    Are you connected directly to the internet (or do you use a router)?
    Which firewall are you using?
    Can you post some examples of the log entries (which show the blocked packets)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.