Process Guard locking my system down

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by wayne_b, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayne_b

wayne_b Registered Member

Not sure how to explain this?

Process Guard and TDS-3 has been working great then I enabled ‘Execution protection’ in TDS-3, again everything ran great, then I restarted the computer..

When in the XP GUI (desktop) I noticed only two item on my ‘task bar’ (should be 7 items) Missing; PC-cillin Internet Security 2004, TDS-3, Spyware Guard, ATI CP, Creative volume Control

So I proceeded to restart the computer, nothing happens, I right click on the tool bar to bring up ‘Task Manager’ nothing happens, I click on ‘Start’ to shut down the computer, again nothing happens. I ended up doing a hard shutdown (power button) I go into ‘Safe Mode’ I delete pghash.dat pguard.dat in the system32 folder, now I am able to start normal, I opened TDS-3 and removed ‘Execution protection’, since I had a backup of pghash.dat pguard.dat I re-instated these two file, everything appeared to run good until I re-started (same thing)

Exactly the same thing happened a couple of day’s ago when I ticked ‘Block Global Hooks is enabled’ I couldn’t restore Process Guard, had to re-install and re-build pguard.dat

It appears if I enable ‘Execution protection’ in TDS-3 and/or ‘Block Global Hooks is enabled’ in PG, it totally locks down my system upon restart thus PG is un-restorable, I have to un-install and re-install plus rebuild pghash.dat pguard.dat appears to be a conflict some where and NOT corruption of the pghash.dat pguard.dat

From Safe Mode (when things are running correctly), I will create a MD5 hash of each pghash.dat pguard.dat then create a MD5 hash once the two are zipped then stored in a safe place, the last two times I have compared the MD5 before re-storing the two files and everything comes out clean, so this leads me to believe it is a conflict.

Yes, before re-storing I have made sure all that needs to be shut down is through the ‘Task Manager’ re-storing in safe made makes no differents. Also Note; I don’t have any BAD Blocks on the Hard drive, already checked.

Stats:
    Windows XP HE w/sp1
    Spyware Blaster
    Spyware Guard
    PC-cillin Internet Security 2004 (firewall not installed)
    TDS-3
    Process Guard

-wayne

2. wayne_b

3. wayne_b

Ok, I De-Associated with nero, now it come up with (Opens With: Unknown Application) should I Associate this with notepad or PG?

I can Exclude these two files from PCc, should I also do that?

Sorry to be throwing this all at once :(

-wayne

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi wayne-b, One thing that I would do if running XP is to start TDS3 manually after your other programmes have loaded as this can be problematical with some sytems.
    I run Nero here I do not have .dat associated to any particular program so I would be inclined to leave it unassociated for the moment.

Regarding Global hooks I doubt if it is TDS3, I only have the four standard blocks and Close Meassage handling enabled and have never seen a global hook entry mentioning TDS3. Your AV may need to have all the allows though as kavsvc requires the first four allows on this PC or I get endless logging.

I watch the logs very carefully and only add programs one at a time initially so as to not confuse the issue regarding what may be conflicting with what. I also left PG in learning mode for two or three reboots whilst running all my apps and whilst not connected to to the internet.

After that I introduced the four General tabs slowly watching the logging carefully and giving the apps the necessary individual allows for global hooks, block endtask, block apinit and service / driver install as required.

HTH Pilli

5. wayne_b

Ok Pilli, that makes since! I may have pushed things to far and to fast in a short amount of time then (umm, like in a hour) :oops:

Thanks for the reply !

-wayne

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK wayne_b, It does take time to set up Process Guard properly without a doubt but I have found it is worth it as this PC is very stable with Process Guard now. I only get IE trying to make a Global mouse hook once a session and I just ignore it :)
    When doing major updates which may include drivers and services, I do disable PG and often leave it in learning mode until I reboot although I do disconnect from the Internet ;)

Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.