Process Guard locking my system down

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by wayne_b, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayne_b

wayne_b Registered Member

Not sure how to explain this?

Process Guard and TDS-3 has been working great then I enabled ‘Execution protection’ in TDS-3, again everything ran great, then I restarted the computer..

When in the XP GUI (desktop) I noticed only two item on my ‘task bar’ (should be 7 items) Missing; PC-cillin Internet Security 2004, TDS-3, Spyware Guard, ATI CP, Creative volume Control

So I proceeded to restart the computer, nothing happens, I right click on the tool bar to bring up ‘Task Manager’ nothing happens, I click on ‘Start’ to shut down the computer, again nothing happens. I ended up doing a hard shutdown (power button) I go into ‘Safe Mode’ I delete pghash.dat pguard.dat in the system32 folder, now I am able to start normal, I opened TDS-3 and removed ‘Execution protection’, since I had a backup of pghash.dat pguard.dat I re-instated these two file, everything appeared to run good until I re-started (same thing)

Exactly the same thing happened a couple of day’s ago when I ticked ‘Block Global Hooks is enabled’ I couldn’t restore Process Guard, had to re-install and re-build pguard.dat

It appears if I enable ‘Execution protection’ in TDS-3 and/or ‘Block Global Hooks is enabled’ in PG, it totally locks down my system upon restart thus PG is un-restorable, I have to un-install and re-install plus rebuild pghash.dat pguard.dat appears to be a conflict some where and NOT corruption of the pghash.dat pguard.dat

From Safe Mode (when things are running correctly), I will create a MD5 hash of each pghash.dat pguard.dat then create a MD5 hash once the two are zipped then stored in a safe place, the last two times I have compared the MD5 before re-storing the two files and everything comes out clean, so this leads me to believe it is a conflict.

Yes, before re-storing I have made sure all that needs to be shut down is through the ‘Task Manager’ re-storing in safe made makes no differents. Also Note; I don’t have any BAD Blocks on the Hard drive, already checked.

Stats:
    Windows XP HE w/sp1
    Spyware Blaster
    Spyware Guard
    PC-cillin Internet Security 2004 (firewall not installed)
    TDS-3
    Process Guard

-wayne

2. wayne_b

3. wayne_b

Ok, I De-Associated with nero, now it come up with (Opens With: Unknown Application) should I Associate this with notepad or PG?

I can Exclude these two files from PCc, should I also do that?

Sorry to be throwing this all at once :(

-wayne

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi wayne-b, One thing that I would do if running XP is to start TDS3 manually after your other programmes have loaded as this can be problematical with some sytems.
    I run Nero here I do not have .dat associated to any particular program so I would be inclined to leave it unassociated for the moment.

Regarding Global hooks I doubt if it is TDS3, I only have the four standard blocks and Close Meassage handling enabled and have never seen a global hook entry mentioning TDS3. Your AV may need to have all the allows though as kavsvc requires the first four allows on this PC or I get endless logging.

I watch the logs very carefully and only add programs one at a time initially so as to not confuse the issue regarding what may be conflicting with what. I also left PG in learning mode for two or three reboots whilst running all my apps and whilst not connected to to the internet.

After that I introduced the four General tabs slowly watching the logging carefully and giving the apps the necessary individual allows for global hooks, block endtask, block apinit and service / driver install as required.

HTH Pilli

5. wayne_b

Ok Pilli, that makes since! I may have pushed things to far and to fast in a short amount of time then (umm, like in a hour) :oops:

Thanks for the reply !

-wayne

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK wayne_b, It does take time to set up Process Guard properly without a doubt but I have found it is worth it as this PC is very stable with Process Guard now. I only get IE trying to make a Global mouse hook once a session and I just ignore it :)
    When doing major updates which may include drivers and services, I do disable PG and often leave it in learning mode until I reboot although I do disconnect from the Internet ;)

Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.