Process Guard and Opera Driver/Service install

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Old Monk, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Folks

This may be a bit of an old chestnut.

I recall there were a couple of old threads on this issue but no real resolution that I could see.

I've just moved over to Opera and everytime I come out PG notifies me that Opera tried to install a driver/service which I currently block.

Does anyone now know what this driver/service is?

I've no reason to distrust Opera of course but I'm still curious as Firefox never asked for it.

As I recall other members running PG and Opera didn't experience the same request so is it just an anomaly ?

Would Opera give me the answer directly do you think?

Thanks for your help

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

I can't tell you what this driver/ service is, but I can assure you that every time I had upgrade to a new version of PG (I usually wipe the old version out) Opera was always asking permission for this service which I think is quite normal for its operation.

I don't have any malware (wishful thinking) to my knowledge, and if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want to know what really happens and why, then some real expert should intervene.

3. Old Monk

Thanks Osaban

Yes, I'm sure there's no problem - just curious as to why, particularly as I say, Firefox didn't seem to need such a thing in it's normal operation. Besides, the alert from PG is a little distracting every time I close Opera.

Also, why - and please excuse my ignorance - does the alert come when exiting Opera?

Is it not normal for an application to try and install a driver/service when loading rather than when closing down? :doubt:

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I've never encountered this myself with any version of Opera (including 8.5, 9.0 and the current 9.01). What driver name does PG show in the Alerts log?

5. Old Monk

Hi P2K

As I thought, this doesn't affect everybody. No access to machine in question so I'll try and answer your question a bit later if you'd be so kind to look out for it.

Thank you

6. TNT

TNT Registered Member

It happens to me as well. Never allowed it, never had any problem whatsoever. If you encounter no problem, just deny it.

7. Paranoid2000

One thing to check - did you use the standard Opera installer or the "classic" one? I used the latter (wishing to avoid msiexec where possible).

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

It happens to me, but I don't think it is malicious. So what ever Opera says it needs it gets.

9. Old Monk

Hi

Thanks guys for your responses.

As I say I'm not worried as much but not in this thread nor in the historic threads has anyone come up with an idea of what is actually trying to install or why?

Like you TNT I'm denying it with no obvious impact on performance that I can see.

P2K, to answer your earlier question the alert log says -

08:35:06 [DRIVER/SERVICE] c:\program files\opera\opera.exe [3188] Tried to install a driver/service named

To answer your latter question, I'm not sure what you mean - I just downloaded and installed so I guess I used the standard installer. If you could clarify '' classic'' I'll give it a whirl and see what happens

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

If you have your Opera cache set to automatically clean on exit could it somehow be tied to this action...o_O :)

11. Old Monk

Okay PK2, found what you mean by '' classic'' on the download area of Opera.

Could you clarify what msiexec is and why to avoid it and do you lose any functionality in ''classic''? I note it is a smaller download.

Thanks again.

12. Old Monk

Thanks for that Mongol but that option is unchecked.

Thanks anyway.

13. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Do you have a custom print driver like fineprint or pdf factory installed - if so I'd look at that

14. Old Monk

Hi Starfish

I think that may have sorted it :blink:

I have a Lexmark printer that loads software at start up.

Disabled it and PG said nothing when exiting Opera. Rebooted, enabled the printer software, went into Opera and then exited and again nothing from PG

I'll see how this goes and thanks to you for your input and to all posters on this thread :)

15. Old Monk

Spoke too soon :cautious:

Doesn't seem to work - back to PG alerts

I'll test again in the morning -perhaps too tired to sort this now.

16. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I have the same problem as you - sometimes in Opera and Firefox.

In firefox PG stops a print from working even though Fineprint is known and trusted unless firefox is allowed to the permission. Only seems to be since build 405 for me ....hence my input. ...

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm using the older 3.15 version of PG and I have always needed to allow Opera the right to install drivers. I have not needed to do that for Fx. I don't recall if Opera wants to install a driver when opening or closing because I just gave it permission long ago. It is not as though I were giving IE that permission! So, I can't be of much help in figuring it out other than adding my voice to those who have said Opera needs to install a driver.

I took the permission away and sure enough Opera wants to install a driver/service at closing.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have checked 'delete new cookies when exiting Opera'.

And for the record I also have a Lexmark printer, but I don't think it is related to this driver service.

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I get this demand to install a driver/service too and I don't tell Opera to delete cookies on closing. I also don't have a Lexmark. I have an old HP DeskJet printer.

20. Old Monk

Thanks for all your input folks.

No it wasn't the printer software after all

I downloaded the 'classic' install of V9.01 as PK2 mentioned and when I installed that seperately from existing version not a peep from PG.

Opera forums aren't particularly easy reading for migrating data and e-mail from one version to another so I system restored and installed V9.01 over the existing version ( which I probably shouldn't have judging from Opera forums -but what the hecK) and all works very well............

Except, yep you guessed it PG is back to blocking driver/service.

I give up - it's no big deal and Opera's great and PG is great so all's well.

If anyone does ever resolve this question - be sure and post ;)

Thanks again

21. Paranoid2000

Opera 9 switched to using the MSI installer but offered the previous installer as the "classic option". MSIexec in my experience has a habit of changing things I don't like being changed (like recreating folders I don't want, such as My Pictures) and requires more space. This about:installer blog has a good discussion of the pros and cons of both installations.

22. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Gee...I never knew there were different installers. I just install it. What is the big deal what installer is used? I like the MS installer as that is what is generally used for the applications I install and I don't understand what is wrong with it? I haven't tried to install Opera on my 98SE box though and gather I could not do so with the MS installer? So, the cause of an Opera driver trying to run at closing is because I used the MS installer? I don't understand that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.