Process Guard and NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Dazed_and_Confused, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Quick question for one of the many proficient NOD32 users. I am testing DCS Process Guard, and it allows me to protect one process only. I have decided to have it protect my AV resident scanner, but I'm not familar enough with NOD32 to know which file to protect. Which of the NOD32 applications (.exe files) is the resident scanner? NOD32.exe, NOD32KRN.exe, or NOD32.kui? And does anyone disagree with my decision to protect the resident scanner (since I can only protect one process)? Thanks in advance?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The NOD32 Kernel service (nod32krn.exe) is the most crucial process to protect. However, even Processguard's protection can be broken - there is no way to achieve a 100% insurance that process won't be killed but using an account of a limited user.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Marcos,

I believe what your saying is that to achieve 100% insurance I need to have the paid version? If so, if all goes well, I plan to get the full version. Just installed the test version today.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I believe he is talking about using XP as an administrator or a user. See link for the difference.

Making the decision about whether to run as an Administrator or as a User is the same sort of thing. As a User your system is more secure,

http://tinyurl.com/32rnc

5. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have the same software as you, and I believe what he is saying is, if you use your one shot to protect NOD then PG could be shut down. Go with the whole package. It is worth it.

6. Dazed_and_Confused

Howdy, Ronjor!

I understand now. My account (actually the only account on my PC) is an administrator account. I guess I'll just have to take my chances. :cool:

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Hello, WilliamP,

Actually I believe in addition to the one process I select to protect, PG also protects itself. I've selected NOD32KRN.EXE as suggested. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.