Process Guard and keyloggers

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Blackcat, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Will Process guard protect against keyloggers ?

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Blackcat

Yes PG protects against Keylogges, you will get a checksum warning of something new trying to start.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Also Keyloggers have to be able to set a global hook to use the keyboard, so with Block Global Hooks set it could key log even if you let it run.

4. Blackcat

Many thanks ;)

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

6. Blackcat

Thanks, Pilli, some good reading here. Just tried the keystroke recorder listed above and PG jumped in straight away :cool:

I think I have keystroke loggers covered with PG. Good job I checked in here as I was looking at Anti-keylogger;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=41388

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  7. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Hi all

Whilst I take on board what you are saying about Global Hooks and Keyloggers, I think it is only fair to point out that a lot us (for various reasons) do not have Block Global Hooks enabled. In my case (and that of many others), it is because of the problem with BOClean (well documented elsewhere/earlier in this forum). Also, as mentioned on more than one occasion by one of the DCS team (Wayne?), Block Global Hooks is pretty much experimental and is not for the average (me) user...

So.. as things stand at the mo, PG is not really the answer to Keyloggers, is it?

:doubt:

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Oremina, Yes, I understand your argument there :) but you still have checksum protection which will jump in if the keylogger tries to execute. So not completeprotection but a whole lot better than nothing. :)

9. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Hi Pilli

Thanks for your quick reply... I was trying to do a "let me come back on this" before your last post, but lost my dialup connection.

Was going to say, of course program checksums would be the first line of defence and one would have to be pretty loopy to let it run, but, yes, the warning would be there.

I guess it is just that I will be delighted when Block Global Hooks is sorted and working to everyone's satisfaction and I can use it as it is meant to be used..

Don't think I was knocking PG... two programs I consider the best I've ever had are PG and (although not from the same stable) BOClean and I look forward to the day when they blend together well... ;)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

That's OK Oremina, Jason is working on a new version of PG which, hopefully, will be ready in two or three weeks, lots of small bug fixes and improvements. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.