Process Explorer Questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jaws, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hi all,

I've downloaded sysinternals' Process Explorer. Upon running the program for the first time I got a warning:

“The version of Dbghelp.dll does not support the ms symbol server. Please download and install the *ms debugging tools for windows* to get a version that does”.

Do I really need this, because when I clicked OK, Process Explorer open and started running OK? Are any function lacking if I don't get this version?

One other thing. When I double click on a running process, nothing shows up under the TCP/IP tab for any of the process properties, even when I double click the IE process. Is this because I didn't get the ms debugging tools for windows?

I'm using w2kpro sp4.

Thanks,

Jaws

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Yes it is because you don't have the Debugging Tools for Windows, and it will run just fine without. If you double click on any process and then go to the "Strings" tab, what you see there is what would be changed with the Debugging Tools installed, it would make those lines resemble something human readable.

If you decide you want to do this, I'll give you the lines to configure the symbols. :)

3. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hi Notok,

Thanks for the reply and the offer of help. I think I would be way over my head as far as the strings tab and the info therein.

But I'm still curious about the TCP/IP tab. No matter what I double click on there's never any info under this tab. Please excuse my ignorance if this does have to do with the debugging tool.

Thanks,

Jaws

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Nope, the TCP/IP tab doesn't have to do w/ the debugging tools, debugging tools only gives the names for the threads under the strings tab. Sometimes those do make some sense, so if you can easily install the debugging tools it might be worth a look anyway :) As for the TCP/IP tab, that just shows what internet/network connections that process is using currently, if any. If it doesn't currently have any connections open, that tab will remain blank.

5. JBB

JBB Registered Member

Does anyone know of a Process Monitor Pgm that will run on Win 98 and show me the amount of memory being used by each running process?

P.S. I think there use to be a process monitor pgm written by a russian author that showed memory used by each process runnin on your pc, but I can't remember the name of it.

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

There is a version of ProcessExplorer that works under Windows 9x/Me, it just doesn't have quite as many options as the NT/2k/XP version.

7. JBB

JBB Registered Member

I just remembered the name of product, it is called "TaskInfo" and I found the site for it (see below). Based on the screenshots it looks like it can give loads of details of information for each running process including memory usage even on Win 98 PC's. I am going to download and try it. It has a 30 day evaulation usage before purchase. It works on all of the following Win 95, Win 98, NT, 2000, XP and 2003 and has been recently updated to support new features for XP and 2003.

I would also be intertested in knowing what others think about this product too.

TaskInfo 6.0.1.134
    http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html

8. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.