Process Explorer from sisinternals

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by trock, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trock

trock Registered Member

Has anyone much experience with the freeware from www.SisInternals.com called Process Explorer? I guess it's sort of a "manual" process guard, where you may view and kill certain processes, amongst other things.

I would appreciate some feedback about this program and how best to put it to use.

I am running:
    Nod32
    Look n stop
    TDS-3
    spywareguard
    spywareblaster
    adaware
    spybot s&d
    silent sword

Thanks for the feedback.

2. wannabejavacool

wannabejavacool Registered Member

Somehow, I have this on my computer, don't know how it got there, since I am the only one on this computer, but would like to know more about it. It seems to have all my folders screwed up, or maybe i did it and didn't know what the heck i was doing? I would like to know all I can about it. I do know if I double click on a folder, it brings up this thing called Process explorer with all these little things in parenthesis and I don't know what to do , so I just cancel and right click on the folder to open it. I guess I must have been screwed up in the head when I got into this thing, i am still baffled, so like you, anybody out there got any answers?
    [MOVE]It is driving me mad to say the least, if I could just figure out what it is suppose to do, or how to work it or somethingo_O?[/MOVE] o_O
    Surely, some one out there has some answers, and I will be checking back later, got to go for now. Thanks for listening! :doubt:

3. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

It should be Process Explorer by Sysinternals, not Sisinternals.

I've never encountered any problems/errors with the legit Process Explorer program.

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Been using Process Explorer (as well as other apps from Sysinternals) for some time. For my purposes, I use it mainly as an alternative to Windows Task Manager, and also to help debug applications. Highly recommended. ;)

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Process Explorer is an excellent program. I used it for quite a long time.

Recently, however, I switched to Faber Toys which does approximately the same job as P.E., but gives much greater detail & control on autorun processes. It's also *safer* in that it automatically backs-up (if desired) whatever you choose to modify or delete. Restoring is equally easy. Same price as P.E. -- namely, free.

I am NOT knocking P.E. -- it is a superb program. I am merely pointing out F.T. as an option that is quite similar, but with a few minor differences. I think the only way to decide which you prefer is to try them both.

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Ditto. It also has proved to be a great help in assisting with the removal of certain trojans (epolvy, Vundo)

Regards,

Pieter

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

One of the handiest things about it is that you can opt to set it up as a substitute for Task Manager. So if you right-click in the toolbar and select Task Manager, P.E. opens instead.

8. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Hi, followed the link, looks really - the screen shots shows alot of info. I think i will try it out!

take care T (dont let the web bugs bite!!)

9. pffft

pffft Guest

Isn't it too bad you have to say things like "I'm NOT knocking..."? People cry so hard when you criticize their choice of software!

Anyway, I haven't tried Faber Toys. But Sysinternals does have a new version of its Autoruns utility, and it works pretty well. Could still stand some improvement, though. And it doesn't back anything up.

http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/autoruns.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.