problems with windows update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by divedog, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divedog

divedog Registered Member

Specifically with KB929338, when I update, it installs and I see it in add remove programs but when I go back to windows update it says I need to download and install it. It would seem to be an endless loop does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I had similar problem and used BelarcAdvisor to provide links to solve the problem. I use BA after every MS-update.

3. divedog

I haven't heard of that one, I will give it a try. What's weird is the update is on my computer, but windows update doesn't think it is.

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

The update may not be installed properly, and Belarc will identify ANY missing or improperly installed patches. It will also provide a link to MS-info about the specific patch and any issues or conflicts. This happened to me, again, this month. BelarcAdvisor will display ALL hardware/software installed on your pc (and if you have xp-pro) and benchmark your security setup, showing any weaknesses in checklist-form. You need to have IE set as your dafault browser (just during the test) so that it can display your results.....it uses your browser as a reader but doesn't "take" you anywhere.

5. divedog

Does Belarc mess with the master boot record? I am running FDISR.

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Belarc does not affect the MBR. Depending on what security apps you run, you might see alerts related to bantext.sys (driver install) or to rundll32.exe (physical drive access).

Nick

7. divedog

Thanx I will give it a go. Microsoft said try to install the update in safe mode but that didn't work.

8. divedog

Belarc says the update in question is installed and good. I just can't figure out why Windows update thinks I still need it.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i had that problem with one update so i just kept doing windows update till it installed properly and after about three times it did
    lodore

10. divedog

Well I gave up. Rebuilt the gaming snapshot with FDISR it's all good now. I must say I was stumped I tried everything I could find on the Microsoft site, I tried installing in safe mode to no avail.

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I had the same problem with this update. The update was downloaded but was not recognized for some reason. I finally just ran the MS update again and when it showed it needed to be downloaded again I put it on ignore for that particular download. That got rid of the little tray icon from issuing warnings and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.