Problems with Secunia

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeBCda, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

If this is the wrong "home" for this one, by all means feel free to move it appropriately.

Since about two updates back, I can't get a proper Secunia scan of my system. If I access the online version, it reports it can't load the applet properly and warns that it might not run. If I try to proceed anyway, the error message remains and it seems to stay stuck on checking MS updates, till I finally give up and Cancel. Doesn't matter whether I go in with Firefox (my default) or IE7, same thing either way.

I've also got the PSI version, and if I try to run that I get an error warning having to do with the security certificate.

All updates for IE and Firefox are in place, and I've also got latest versions of Sun RTE and of Secunia PSI.

Obviously the Secunia forums would the the normal starting point, but I can't even get in there except as a non-posting guest, even though my "profile" was registered ages ago. And I've been unable to find any existing references there to these problems.

Any ideas?

2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

3. MikeBCda

Thanks, KK, I've downloaded it and will give it a spin. Too bad about Secunia, that's generally recognized as "the name" for this kind of thing.

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

You might want to reexamine your system for potential conflicts. I just used PSI yesterday, and it worked flawlessly.

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Perhaps Comodo or another of your security programs could be blocking it.

With this newest Java version, I've had to allow Java.exe in Sandboxie to use the online scan or it froze my browser. wuauserv.exe also needs to run to check for windows updates. Svchost also connects out when running the offline version.

6. MikeBCda

Thanks, innerpeace and ambient. Not sure where the conflict, if any, might be -- both Java and PSI were already approved for Comodo, and I've expanded consent for each from out to in/out just in case. I did have one other app (Pretty Good Solitaire, from Goodsol) that also need in/out consent before it could post high scores. Oh, and Java works just fine everywhere else.

The only other remote possibility I can think of is avast's relatively new malware-URL blocking, but it's a safe assumption that they don't consider Secunia, of all places, a threat.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Just a guess but try investigating the security certificate problem. I see that Firefox has certificate settings in Tools - Options - Advanced - Encryption. You can at least view them or you can check the Java Control Panel under the Security tab.

Here are the search results for security certificate on Secunias forum. Have a quick look and see if these few threads help.
    http://secunia.com/community/forum/?forum_search=security certificate

8. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

This is getting a little bit complicated to set all this up just to run an update checker... Hopefully SUMo is simpler to run ;)

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Kyle,

Did you remove the malware from your products? Or straighten the security industry out, that the content added to your products is safe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.