Problems with SearchMyRequest

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Taurendur, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taurendur

Taurendur Registered Member

Hello

I recently obtained a problem with SearchMyRequest. I looked around and tried some of the suggestions, but they don't seem to be working. I got CWShredder and it cleans my computer, but only until I restart.
    I tried looking at hosts for a specific IP, to no luck.
    I tried stopping some of the startup programs, still no luck.

Any suggestions?

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Taurendur.

Welcome to Wilders.

We can help u with this.

Please follow the instructions here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

then post your HijackThis log in the hijack cleaning forum and one of the experts will give u recommendations on any Malware found.

snowbound

3. Taurendur

Hi Snowbound

It gets even more complicated. I was away for a day, and when I came back (before I was able to follow your advice) Internet Explorer no longer works, the soundcard is gone, and I don't think some of the USB ports were working correctly. Also, the theme used to be Windows XP (with the blue START bar) and now it's the classic windows, all gray. I tried changing it, but there wasn't an option for the Windows XP theme, and as far as I found out, no one in my household changed it. It also doesn't display a lot of the icons it used to next to the time, like the keyboard Millenium program or Norton, or anything. It only displays icons when I run the program, like winamp (which doesn't work, no sound go figure). All of the .avi files don't work in DivX. when I load, there's no sound device recognized. Also, when I go to the device manager it doesn't display anything in the window.

The searchmyrequest thing isn't happening anymore. when i restart, the spam favorites don't appear, and google is again the default page when Internet Explorer loads, only IE isn't working so google doesn't popup. I'm wondering if IE isn't working because the LAN device is no longer. I did run Hijack This, but all I remember is that there were only 4 or so lines that popped up.

Right now I'm working off of the library internet. I'll follow your instructions and get back to you as soon as I can.

Andrew

4. Taurendur

Hijack This says the following:

04 - HKCU\..\Run:[wshrm]C:\WINNT\System32\wshrm.exe
    04 - HKCU\..\Run:[MSMSGS]"C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    04 - HKCU\..\Run:[Microsoft Works Update Detection]C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WKDetect.exe
    09 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    09 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    09 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)

The list seems very small compared to other lists in these forums. I wasn't able to do the ad-aware or the spy-scanner because i wasn't able to download them.

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Taurendur,

This one is definitely fishy:
    04 - HKCU\..\Run:[wshrm]C:\WINNT\System32\wshrm.exe

But first try and find C:\WINNT\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and rename it to hosts.bak
    Then try downloading AdAware again.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.