Problems with rapidshare, mediafire free accounts

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Many moths back i made a free account on rapidshare. Its purpose was mainly to share samples with people. Secondarily it was also supposed to be a backup for my malware collection.

Few weeks back, i lost many of samples saved in am external hard disk, so i tried to go to my rapid share account to retrieve them back. I was surprised that many of my old uploade files were no more there. Because the account was mainly for sharing and not really as a backup, therefore i did not keep any record of uploaded files so i am not 100% sure but i strongly suspect that they deleted files older than a certain time period. Is it usual with rapidshare free accounts?

Due to this reason and also due to the fact that login to this account was very slow and sometimes almost impossible, i recently made a free account on mediafire.

It,s another story. Just few days back i was suprised to know that i can't upload password protected
    archives there. It,s a big No No, as i need to upload samples as zipped with password.

Another problem with mediafire is that it renames the files in download link.

Just looking for your suggestions and reliable alternates. I don't want to use any thing that is not famous and might go down after a while.

Thanks

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Aigle, I can tell you for absolute sure that Rapidshare deletes files not accessed after a certain time period. I don't remember exactly that amount of time, but I believe it was after a month or two at best. Also, they have become a bit strict over what material can be uploaded there, so it's possible they deleted your samples because they were malware. Although, if that were the case, you and/or the person trying to download the files would get a message about the files being removed due to violation of their services.

Mediafire in my experience is both less strict and also leaves files up a bit longer, but I'm sure both content and access time is still monitored. As far as alternatives, I'm really not sure of a good place to host files of that type.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.