Problems with Prevx1 Beta install

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Old Monk, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Folks

I know this is not the Prevx1 forum but I've had a look there and it seems it's a little short of info so I hope nobody minds me asking on this here.

I have tried the trial version some time ago but hardly got going before I had to reformat so I thought I'd try again ( be assured I don't make a habit of trying to get exteneded trial versions that way)

Anyway, it let me donwload and off I went.

After the initial installation, Prevx1 seemed to be loaded but no icon appeared in my system tray.

In Task Manager a couple of related Prevx processes were consuming all my CPU. When I tried to end these processes I got the message ' Access Denied':eek:

When I tried to uninstall I got the message that I couldn't uninstall while Prevx1 was still running - advised me to close program via system tray icon - but I couldn't because it wasn' t there !

Only way out seemed to be a System Restore which duly got me back again.

Being a sucker for punishment and assuming I had got something wrong - I tried again - exactly the same scenario.

Anyone any ideas what might be wrong ?

What really concerned me was the Access Denied bit in Task Manager - whats that all about ( PS Process Guard was disabled and Task Manager has rights to terminate anyway)

Hope someone can shed some light !

Cheers

Jon

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Most likely the tray icon just wasn't showing. Windows has a bad habit of not displaying tray icons sometimes. You can log off and back on, and it will ususally show back up.

The "Access Denied" message is just because of it's self protection against termination.. it is similar to what ProcessGaurd does, but it only protects itself.

3. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Hi Old Monk,

Just to be sure, download Prevx 1 directly from http://www.prevx1.com and install the version from there - should be 1.1.0.22.

There were problems with the task-bar icon not appearing with eariler versions, but 1.1.0.22 fixes this.

Direct access to Prevx 1 support can be obtained through the product (if its working correctly :oops: ) or if it isn't working from the link at the bottom of this page: http://www.prevx1.com/support.asp

Hope this helps,

Prevx Support

4. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Thanks Notok, Ghiser1

Notok, I couldn't log off, on each occassion I had to force my machine to shut down and then reboot but the problem remained. I've never had a similar problem with tray icons on other apps. I'm inclined to leave Prevx1 alone until it comes out of beta. It's a bit risky when I can't shut down the program or uninstall it if I have problems. Thanks for your help anyway.

Ditto, Ghiser1 - I did install direct from the Prevx site - I'll check later which version it is but as I downloaded on 25/11 I guess it's the latest version. I will contact via the support link to see what is suggested but as I say I'm tempted to leave a while. Thanks for your response also.

Cheers

Jon

5. JDinNYC

JDinNYC Registered Member

Possible Solution to Problems with Prevx1 Beta uninstall?

Hi:

This is my first time posting to a forum like this one, so please forgive me if my message is unhelpful or inappropriate. I'm breaking with precedent because I think that I found a solution to the Prevx1 Beta uninstall problem. I struggled with this for more than a few hours, and the postings here and elsewhere didn't seem solve it, so I figured I'd try to save others some time.

I'm not trying to promote any software, but I fixed the problem with the free trial version of "The Ultimate Troubleshooter" ("TUT"), downloaded at AnswersThatWork.com. When you open TUT, you'll see four tabs. Click the "Services" tab, second from the left. In the list of all services, find the subcategory "Unknown" (color-coded with gray dots to the left). Click on "PrevxAgent" in this "unknown" group. Right click and select to "Stop" the darned thing from running, and then "Disable" it from starting up. If this works for you as it did for me, you can now go into the Windows "Add or Remove Programs" service and uninstall Prevx1 Beta without further difficulty.

(Footnote #1: I realize that Windows XP has a "Services" tool in the "Control Panel," but like other people, I got error messages and couldn't stop or disable PrevxAgent using the Windows XP tool.)

(Footnote #2: Aside from this one good experience with TUT, and its decent user interface, I have little familiarity with the program. To solve the Prevx1 Beta problem, I suggest that you use its "free trial," as I did. Please don't read this post as a software promo.)

Again, if this post is inappropriate -- because it references shareware, for example -- or a breach of some other etiquette, my apologies. I'm a "fuzzy" not a "teckie," and a "newbie" posting to forums like this.

--Adam

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Re: Possible Solution to Problems with Prevx1 Beta uninstall?

No worries, Adam, your post is perfectly fine, I'm sure it should be helpful to anyone having problems that needs to uninstall/reinstall. Welcome to Wilders :)

For those that don't want to download something new, you can also go to Start > Run, type in "services.msc" (without quotes), look for the Prevx Agent Service, double click on it and click "Stop", to do the same thing. There are other programs that can do this as well.

7. stubbs100

stubbs100 Registered Member

If you have had problems in the past with the Prevx1 installation then try the latest version from Prevx v1.2.0.52.

There are significant improvements to the product and the driver technology.

Regards,

Stubbs100

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  8. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Could it be that you have an older version?

I remember having a similar problem with a large HOSTS file and an old version of Prevx1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.