Problems with OutpostPro Installation

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Antarctica, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi,
    I decided to try OutpostPro and here is what's happening.

During the installation this message comes on:

"You do not have access to make the require system configuration
    modification. Please rerun this installationfrom a administrator's account".

I am the only user of the PC and I have only one account.

Any idea what is the problemo_O

2. Antarctica

I forgot to mention that Outpost is install. The Icon is the taskbar but I can't open it to make the configuration.o_O

3. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i had the same problem when i originally installed outpost pro 2.5. i think it was processguard that was preventing outpost from installing properly, i had to put pg into learning mode to install outpost.

4. INTOXSICKATED

5. Antarctica

Thanks intoxsicated, I will uninstall oupost and try to reinstall it with PG in learning mode.

6. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Interesting . I shutdown PG while installing . Had no problems what soever

7. the mul

the mul Registered Member

You will have to disable pg or u will not be able to install outpost pro 2.5 correctly.
    Just disable it first and then u should have no problems installing outpost 2.5 my friend, if I remember correctly pg stops the driver in outpost from installing properly.

THE MUL ;)

8. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

By George , I think he's got it ! Yeah . Hi Mul . It is the driver not being installed correctly due to PG . By the way . Got to see your pics . Nice kids ! Take care

9. the mul

No problem my friend, I am just here to help and thanks for the nice comment about the kids, u just cant help yourself loving them all.
    I did remember this fact about outpost from a previous thread that I read, but I dont have the link, as long as this problem is fixed that is all that matters I suppose.

Your friend

THE MUL ;)

10. Antarctica

Thank you the mul

This drives me crazy o_O o_O I tried what you said,reboot, even disable NOD32, RegDefend and MS Antispyware and I'm still getting the same message. :rolleyes:

Any other idea?

11. the mul

The main problems that I have heard of is pg not letting outpost install its driver.
    Have u removed all traces of outpost from your system, example programme files and registry entries, sometimes u need to clear out all traces of such programmes and then disable all protection programmes and I also disable pg and then shut it down all together as well and I install all programmes when offline as well and this seems to work fine for me my friend.

The mul

12. Antarctica

Hi the mul,
    Yes, I did clean my registry with RegCleaner, disable PG. The only thing I haven't tried is to reinstall it when offline.

I give it a try right now and let you know. :)

13. Antarctica

Unless someone have another idea, I will give up trying to install Outpost Pro on my PC.

All programs have been shut down, reboot, then I tried to install when offline but I still get the same message. o_O o_O o_O

14. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Have you tried running Regedit and removing these keys manually?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Agnitum]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Agnitum

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Agnitum

After removing all 3, then reboot and give it a shot. *puppy*

Edit: attached a text file with every instance of Agnitum/Outpost I can find on my pc. (I run OP 2.5 Pro) ;)

Its about 40 diff keys altogether. Well worth a few min to get Outpost working in my opinion. :D

Attached Files:

15. Antarctica

Eliot,

Yeah, I did all that already. Made a search with Regedit and remove manually every key of Agnitum and Outpost and it still doesn't want to install. o_O

Thanks anyway. :)

16. Access Denied

I can only suggest to go HERE and download Startup Control Panel (does not install, just an exe you can run). Open that and untick every last thing in all startup locations. Then disable any protective software, also disable the services for them to be sure. Reboot, open Task Manager, kill any non essential process in the list, including explorer.exe after you check the permissions on the install file. Then from Task Manager, click file, new task (run..) and browse to the Outpost install file and pray. If that fails, I can only believe your registry permissions have been tampered with.

LOL, seems like overkill from hell, but I have used it many times to get a "clean install" of some apps. :D

17. INTOXSICKATED

a friend of mine had to completely uninstall pg to get outpost to work. then re-installed it afterwards. o_O

18. Access Denied

Good idea. I always install PG last on a format/re install task as safety net. :D

19. Antarctica

Eliot and INTOXSICATED,
    Thank you, I will try that but another day. To-day I had enough, it's time to go outside for fresh air... :p

20. INTOXSICKATED

ok, let us know how it goes. once you get past the initial install issue, i'm sure you'll really like outpost. :D

21. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Antarctica,

At this point, if you wish to persist, I would suggest creating another account with Admin privileges and trying the install with that, in case the problem is with the permissions on your primary account. I would also point out that it is better security practice to use a limited/power user account for day-to-day use, reserving the Administrator account for key tasks like software installation only - most of Windows' security features are rendered useless if the Admin account is used all the time.

Both Process Guard and RegDefend can block an Outpost installation so double-checking that they are configured to allow it is important (for PG, simply disabling the "Block Rootkit/Driver/Service Install" option should suffice - RegDefend may need to be temporarily disabled). Any other security software that controls registry/service installation (e.g. PrevX, System Safety Monitor, Tiny Firewall) can cause similar problems so do check their settings also. If in doubt, disable everything - at the very least, list exactly what you are running so others can provide full advice.

The Outpost installation, like any firewall install, should be done off-line. If you had another firewall installed, ensure that it is properly removed first (see the Outpost forum Extended Application or Firewall Uninstall/Install Instructions FAQ for more details).

You can check to see if Outpost drivers were installed by viewing the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services registry key - Outpost should add 13 entries here (Adblock.dll, Content.dll, Dnscache.dll, Ftpfilt.dll, Htmlfilt.dll, Httpfilt.dll, Imapfilt.dll, Mailfilt.dll, Nntpfilt.dll, OutpostFirewall, Pop3filt.dll, Protect.dll and Vfilt) so if these are missing, then it does suggest that other security software may be the cause.

22. Access Denied

Very very good advice there ^^^^^ I know who to seek out with an Outpost problem for sure now. Looking for that dang carma cookie! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

23. Antarctica

Finally, Yeahhhh! :) I managed this morning to install Outpost Pro.

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. I guess I learned a lot from this
    installation. The problem was Process Guard, but disable it was not enough, I had to uninstall it completely.

After that the installation of Outpost Pro went smoothly and after reboot I did re-install PG. So far so good, I just have to learn how to configure Outpost Pro now. :)

Thanks again guys.

24. Access Denied

Great news to hear. Can you say backup/image? :D

25. Antarctica

Definitly. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.