Problems with Outlook and more

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Technophobe, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technophobe

Technophobe Registered Member

I am running NOD32 3.0.695.0, Virus signature 5758, on a WinXP Pro SP3 system with IE8 and Office 2007.

During the past few days I have been getting MS error messages to the effect that Outlook 2007 had to shut down because of a problem with NOD32. Today when I restarted Outlook, I got the following:

"Outlook experienced a serious problem with the "eset outlook plugin" add-in. If you have seen the message muliple times, you should disable this add-in and check to see if an update is available. Do you want to disable this add-in?"

During the past few days I have also begun to have IE8 hangs, and one complete freeze, also shut-down problems, some requiring a hard shut-down.

I have made no changes yet, and after reading this thread, I am reluctant to install Version 4.

Any suggestions for at least a temporary workaround? I don't actually know how to disable the Eset plugin in Outlook.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I wonder if updating to the latest signature database version 5759 (available shortly) resolves the issues.

4. cosmith

cosmith Registered Member

We're seeing these problems as well, including blue screen crashes (referring to nod32) that started yesterday.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's very unlikely this problem could result in BSOD. If possible, provide us with a memory dump for perusal, please.

6. Technophobe

Technophobe Registered Member

Of course, that's my hope. And the reason I haven't done anything yet. I would MUCH rather your technicians solved the problem for me.

7. cosmith

cosmith Registered Member

The BSOD were only occurring yesterday, and seem to have gone away. If I can get a memory dump, I will relay it to you.

(edit) Apparently, they were not BSOD's, but rather complete system freezes that required the users to force a shutdown using the power button. There is no memory dump.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  8. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

There are some known issues with computer freezing and Office2003/2007 that Microsoft is working on. It seems to be rooted in a KB from September addressing some security flaws in the Office plugin system which the Eset Outlook and Office plugins utilize. Symptoms have been ranging from individual plugins crashing (Eset, Acrobat, Evernote, Xobni) to blue screens to full system lock with no crash logs being generated. We're holding our breath for a hotfix to hopefully resolve it. There has been some limited success with running repair installs to get the plugins to re-register and stabilize, so you might want to try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.