Problems with latest build

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bill bucci, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill bucci

bill bucci Registered Member

I just sent the following to support:

"In a previous post I asked whether you would be fixing the slow backup and recovery in the latest build compared to some previous builds. You answered that this is an issue perculiar to some computers only and suggested a workaround and a diagnostic technique.

First of all I have read a number of posts complaining of the same problem, so I feel it is one that we purchasers have a right to expect you to fix.

Second of all, your suggestions don't work! I modified "quiet" to "quiet acpi=off noapic" and tried a recovery: two hours plus as opposed to less than a half hour before. So this was a waste of my computer time and of my own time

Next, I followed your instructions, put a floppy in, booted with the rescue cd and again following instructtions typed in "cd tmp etc." When I got to "mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir" the computer returned an error of "2" and stopped.

This, along with the inability of TI to recognize dvds (latest build) in the recovery environment makes me very unhappy indeed. I am going to share my feelings on the Forum."

I'd like to get some perspective from fellow posters. Am I on off-base here expecting less buggy builds? How widespread is this problem of slow backups and recovery? Shouldn't the dvd recognition problems have been spottted and fixed before Acronis released build 3633?

2. mustang

mustang Developer

Bill, have you tried running TI with my plugin from within BartPE? You might be pleasantly surprised on both of your complaints. Backup and recovery times should be approximately the same as in normal Windows.

It would be great if Acronis would give up on the Linux based Recovery environment and go over to a WinPE based system. Life would be alot better on this forum.

mustang

3. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Except for people who have to use the recovery feature every day, the Linux CD boots so much faster -- and is just as fast imaging in 98% of the cases. Maybe they could default the home version to building a WinPE recovery CD. It's mostly the home users who get into trouble.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I obvously don't have any real stats but I think the slow backup and recovery is not widespread.

The DVD recognition problem never should have seen the light of day in the user community. A celebrated (by virtue of emails to everyone) new feature that doesn't work properly for anybody - very poor! It looks to me like the marketing department was wagging the QA department again.

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I don't have the stats either but I do have a number of machines which work fine with workstation 9.1 and Home 9.0 but I also have a machine which restores my operating system in 9 minutes if I use 9.0 (build 2323) and takes 50 minutes if I use anything later. To my mind Acronis broke something when they moved to build 3XXX and higher

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Thanks to Acronis my PC can now restore quickly with versions 9 and 9.1

Amazing how a few simple words in the command line - quiet acpi=off noapic -
    can make the difference between a 50 minute restore and an 8 minute restore.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bill,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our sincerer apologies for the delay with the response.

Firstly, please be aware that the so-called "speed problems" are usually hardware-specific and therefore require a deeper investigation if booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter does not help. If you want us to proceed with the investigation of the problem you encounter then please follow the instructions I have provided in another thread you started.

As for the problem with creating Linux system information (the 'sysinfo.txt' file), the error message you receive indicates that you most likely have a non-standard floppy drive (e.g. it is connected through USB). Whatever the case, we recommend that you try saving the 'sysinfo.txt' file to a USB flash drive as it is described in this previous post of mine.

Regarding the issue with restoring backups saved to DVD-R\DVD+R media, please note that this problem has already been investigated and fixed. The fix will be implemented in the next build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is expected to be released within the next few weeks. Please see this thread for further details. We are very sorry for the current inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

Well, Alexy, there seems to be something to hardware issues when it comes to the problem of slow saves/restores. As I noted in another post, when I twice attempted to restore from an IDE HDD after more or less successful restores from the two SATA HDDs, it was a lost cause. Obvously, these are things that need to be resolved on your end. Bootable SATA drives with additional IDE Drives on mobos have been out long enough at this point to expect reasonable compatibility. Yet clearly, this is not the case so far.

A question I'd like clarified is whether or not earlier versions are made available to customers who purchase your product after the trial period ends. I really don't mind "downgrading" to a previous version (i.e. 9.2323) after purchasing the current version, as long as it's an option. What would help even more would be an option to grab a link to 9.2323 prior to purchase -- within the current time frame of the latest trial -- to see if that helps, but I don't know if that's possible.

9. bill bucci

bill bucci Registered Member

Look at what you're asking us to do if we have speed restoration problems with the latest build: prepare a sys info and if you can't because of your floppy then use a flash drive. What if we don't have one (I don't). You're asking customers to go through all this hassle because your new build can't handle some hardware. Why didn't you anticipate this in your testing before you released the build? And what about customers who are having speed problems and have shared data with you? Have you not learned something that you can share with others who are having trouble? For that matter, why didn't you adequately test the DVD backup/restore ability of the rescue CD? I am not impressed. It seems to me that yours is not a customer-oriented operation.

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Off-topic and political post removed.

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Another post removed - questions or concerns in regards to moderator actions may be addressed to the forum admin in private.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello skbaltimore and bill bucci,

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Firstly, please be aware that you can always download the last three builds of the respective Acronis True Image version from the Product Updates section of your account at our web site by clicking on the 'Full history of changes' link.

Please also note that there is absolutely no chance of testing the software on any imaginable hardware configuration. There will always be some "problematic" devices or their combinations. However, such problems are usually easy to solve by implementing the corresponding drivers for these particular hardware devices or booting with some special parameters. If you encounter "speed problems" while using Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter does not solve them then please provide us with the information I have requested. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.