Problems with Firefox

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by remrebel, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remrebel

remrebel Registered Member

I have NOD32 ver 3.0.621.0 and am having problems with Firefox.

Specifically, when I check the box beside Firefox in Web Access Protection\HTTP\Web Browsers, Firefox WILL start up, but cannot access (blocks) any web page. Also, any plugin like the weather toolbar will not work.

If I uncheck the box, then Firefox works without any problem.

Also, I have IE7 installed with its box checked in NOD32 and it works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

REM

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello . Open the user interface and press F5 (to open the Advanced Setup Tree) .

1 . Make sure both IE7 and FF2 are checked as web browsers (in Web access protection -> HTTP -> Web browsers )

2. Goto Web access protection -> HTTP -> Web browsers -> Active mode and make sure nothing is checked there

3. Goto Web access protection -> Protocol filtering and make sure you have checked "HTTP

Confirm the changes with OK .

4. Perform Winsock repair

Repair Winsock
    Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

N.B. ! There is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset
    N.B. ! If you use Windows Vista , you must first run cmd as Administrator .

5. After computer restart , try again :thumb:

Attached Files:

3. remrebel

remrebel Registered Member

Thanks for your assistance HiTech.

I followed your suggestions and after rebooting, not only could I still could not access websites via firefox with your suggestions, when I reverted back to original settings (without Firefox being checked), I was being blocked by my network firewall.

I then investigated into the network connection settings for firefox itself. I have a MS SBS 2003 network with ISA2004 firewall. I discovered that FF was set to Direct Connection to Internet.

I changed this setting to utilize the automatic proxy script that IE7 uses and voila, FF worked again. I then checked the Firefox browser box in NOD32 - no problems this time. I checked NOD32 and ithe Web Access protection module is scanning objects now when I am running Firefox.

My final question is if everything works fine with FF and NOD32 when the protocol filtering is set to the default - Ports and applications marked as Internet browsers or email clients, should I still change this to HTTP and POP3 ports?

Thanks again,
    REM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.