Problems with External USB 3 HDD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by diskdoc, Jan 6, 2014.

1. diskdoc

diskdoc Registered Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum so please make allowances for me!
    I have a problem with my Hitachi Touro USB 3 drive and HDM14. I have made a removable media USB flash drive using the RM Builder program, however, when I boot from this, the program does not detect my USB 3 external drive.
    What is confusing is that I originally used the HDM12 version and used the removable media wizard to create a flash drive. I never experienced this problem then and my hardware has not changed. The flash drive seemed to boot into a different environment though. I hope I have made this clear for you all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

As I understand your question, the Linux medium boots but it does´n detect the external disk. What happens if you connect a different external disk, or a flash drive, to the same USB port? Is it detected? What happens if you try another USB port?

Maybe it´s a driver problem. The new Linux program may have different drivers, and it doesn´t recognize your external USB disk. In this case, you could create a WinPE medium and try again.

3. diskdoc

Hello Robin, Thank you for your reply.
    Sorry I should have mentioned that I am using Windows 7 and the boot media I have created is WinPE.
    Im not sure what medium I was using under the previous (HDM12) version. My HDD is plugged into a USB3 port. If I plug any other USB devices into this port, they are detected but this may be because they are USB2?
    Thanks again.

4. Robin A.

If the USB 2.0 devices are detected correctly, the port is working and the problem should be related to the external drive.

Some other things you could try:

Is the drive connected to the computer before you reboot? Or are you connecting it after the WinPE boots and the HDM interface opens? In either case, try the other way. Also, disconnect it, wait a moment and connect it again.

Is the external drive seen in Windows 7? Can you see the files and open them? If no, there is some problem with the drive.

Create a Linux boot medium using the Recovery MB and try with it.

5. diskdoc

Hello Robin, I created a Linux USB boot drive and it worked perfectly!
    Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

6. Robin A.

You´re welcome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.