Problems with direct backup to dvs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bill bucci, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill bucci

bill bucci Registered Member

How to write directly to dvd

So how do I make direct to dvd backup work in latest build? Do I format the dvds first? How, if I don't have to format with InCD?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Re: How to write directly to dvd

It must be just like using Nero or Roxio to burn data to a dvd. You shouldn't have to format the media ... that was the "old" way.

3. bill bucci

I've tried backing up directly to DVD in TI, but it keeps asking for a CD. What am I missing?

4. zzzz73

zzzz73 Registered Member

If you are using a non-blank RW disc, erase the content first, no need to format. If its a blank R disc, just pop it in.

5. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

download newest build. It has build in Direct DVD writing now ;-)

6. bill bucci

In answer to latest post, I wrote "how do I ...with "latest build."

I finally got TI to recognize the blank +R DVD even though it continued to call it a CD. TI backed up my C drive as asked on four disks. Today, I tried restoring from these disks and found TI didn't recognize them. Yet at least one person seems to have success, others have not. So how widespread is my problem, and are the TI people planning to release a fix.

7. bill bucci

I am using build 3633 to backup to R+ DVDs and having problems.

When I first backed up--in Windows XP Pro--TI showed my DVD drive as a CD drive. But it did backup my entire C drive onto four dvds.

I tried to recover these dvds first in TI in Windows. TI saw the backups and proceeded through the usual steps. At one point, however, TI said the file was corrupted. I clicked retry, and TI took everything to the point when a reboot was necessary. I rebooted, TI again saw the DVDs, asked me to put the last one in etc. but then gave a message saying operation was completed with errors: TI in short stopped the process. I rebooted and found that TI had done nothing.

I next tried recovery using my boot cd. Now TI simply did not see the backup DVDs. It did see my dvd drive, which it identified as a CD drive.

Next, I rebooted and looked in Windows Explorer to see if it recognized the DVDs. It did. I then copied each of the four DVDs to a folder on my hard disk and opened up TI and tried to mount the copied DVDs. That worked!

I don't know whether all this detail will be helpful to Acronis and to people who may be experiencing direct DVD backup problems, but I thought I'd share this with you.

I backed up on blank R+ DVDs. I did not format the DVDs, since the latest build is supposed to make direct DVD backup possible.

8. mustang

mustang Developer

To Support:

The direct backup to DVD introduced in the latest builds of True Image is only working under normal Windows. I was able to backup and restore a non-system partition successfully while running under Windows. However, as stated above by Bill, the Linux based rescue CD will not see any backup files on these DVD's. I was able to backup my C drive directly to DVD running under Windows. The problem is there is no way to recover this backup directly from the DVD's.

As you know, the Acronis BartPE plugin for TI9 is not able to recognize CD/DVD drives. Therefore, it can not be used. I have also tried to recover the above backup of my C drive using my version of the TI9 BartPE plugin. True Image 9 will not see the CD/DVD drives at all. They do show up in Windows Explorer. I have to assume the new Acronis files in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord are the problem. They have been updted to provide the direct DVD support. The problem in they do not work under a BartPE environment.

These are the files in question:
    cdrecord2.exe
    growisofs.exe
    readcd.exe
    wnaspi32.dll

Please forward this information to the Development Team. The latest builds are a big step in the right direction, but we need to be able to recover a system partition from DVD's that were directly written under Windows. I will be glad to work with you to resolve the BartPE part of the problem.

mustang

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I had posted some of this in another thread but this one seems more appropriate.

Installed 3633 over 3567.

Made an image of 4.5GB (used) C drive directly to DVD-R and verified. Took 25 min to verifiy about 8 to create.

Tried restore from within Windows. Clicked on reboot when asked.

TI goes through the usual steps and brings up TI screen with the progress bars on it, bars fill very quickly and Error Window pops up. Fortunately, it craps out before it wipes the partition so everything is still intact.

I also had made a second image but it wasn't verified. I can mount and access files from it with B3557 without any problem. Trying to restore from it with B3567 gave the same error result as 3633.

I don't have any intention of using direct writing to DVDs but I know a lot of people wish to do so. I advise anybody to have a second "normal" backup before relying on direct DVD writing until there is confirmation it is reliable.

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

In other words, it's NOT a backup of the boot partition because it can't be restored. By any sane definition, a backup has to be restorable.

Let's give the development team thanks for getting started on direct writing to DVDs, but ask them to also provide for a way to read them in the Linux environment. :)

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

This issue has been forwarded to our Testing Team. We will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible. As this can take a few days, we apologize in advance for any delay with response.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Bill,

I saw the same thing. Double clicking on the CD (DVD) drive icon revealed the .tib image file.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.