Problems with corrupted images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Manowar, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manowar

Manowar Registered Member

Hello,

a customer of mine has the following configuration:

Elitegroup-Board with VIA KT 133 Chipset
    80 GB Seagate HD 1
    120 GB WD HD 2
    Win XP SP 2
    Acronis TI 8 Build 786 (?)

HD 1 has 3 partitions:

c: (DOS FAT) 2 GB
    d: (NTFS) 35 GB
    e: (NTFS) 35 GB System partition containing Windows XP

HD 2 has only 1 partition (f: ) for saving the images and other data. Filesystem is NTFS.

Now the following problem: If he makes a backup of partition e: on f: the software always says: image file corrupted.
    The same if backups of c: and d: are made.

If instead the backup is made on the SAME harddisk (e: backed up on d: for example) everything is ok. o_O

AND NOW: If i copy the (checked and found ok) image from d: to harddisk2 (f: ) Acronis tells me: Image corrupted. :(

This evening i tried to solve the problem or maybe get some hints whats wrong.
    I brought a brand new HD (WD 120GB) to my customer, cloned HD 1 without problems, disconnect HD 1, connected new cloned HD, started Windows XP, made image on f: -> same problem (image corrupted)

Then i disconnected HD2, reconnected old HD1, connected new HD instead of old HD 2, made image -> image corrupted.
    His HDs seem to be ok.

One last thing: HD 1 is connected to IDE-Port 1 with a CD-Rom Drive as slave, HD 2 is connected to IDE 2 with a DVD-Burner as slave.

Questions: What is going wrong when i copy a total ok checked image and suddenly it is corrupted? o_O
    How can i solve this problem?

Has anyone a good idea and can help me?

Greetings from Germany,

Manowar (desperatly seeking a solution)

2. archie22

archie22 Guest

I have exactly the same problem with TI 8.0 build 791. There must be a bug in the prog.

Better try other backup tools, acronis cannot help as it looks like.

Regards,
    archie

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Manowar

I would move the HDD's to Primary Master and Slave , the CD-Rom and DVD to Secondary Master and slave, to see it it helps.

For years people have talked about the way best way to the set IDE's, with for and against.

I always, along with most MB manuals advise, install as above.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. archie22

archie22 Registered Member

@ TheQuest

I use an external usb drive and get always corrupted images as well. It seems not only be a master/slave problem of the hdds.

I also get not corrupted image files on my internal hdd (different partition), but after copying it to the external hdd, the file is corrupt. I tried different hdds, always with the same result.

If I copy other fíles to the external hdd, these files are ok.

Regards,
    archie

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, archie22

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis forums.

It was just a suggestion to Manowar to try.

archie I do not follow this bit:-

They seem to say the same thing but one is corrupt and one is good. o_O

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

The problem may result from the software environment. Please see whether you have any services working with HDD launched. Also please do the following:

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the "Save" option in the "File" menu (or "Action" menu under Windows 2000), enter the "File name" and set the field "Save as type" to "System Information File (*.NFO)";
    - Send the saved file to support@acronis.com along with the description of the problem (or the link to this thread).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. archie22

If I copy a valid image file from internal hdd to external hdd, the file is detected by TI as being corrupt.

If I copy any other file, e.g. word text file, this file is ok.

Regards
    archie

8. Fuzzy John

Fuzzy John Registered Member

If you have the time I would suggest trying to copy the image file back to the internal hdd, to a different folder so that you do not overwrite the original. Does TI see this still as corrupted?

This would verify whether the file is really corrupted or whether TI has trouble accessing it while on the external drive.

9. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello all,
    hope you don't mind my coming in to this post, but the problems seem very similar to mine. (see posts re. image to external drive)
    I installed an external drive 2 days ago with 80GB hard drive split into 3 partitions.
    I have on one occasion been successful in saving an image to the external drive' but haven't been able to repeat that success.
    I am able to save image to computer hard drive and can verify it as ok, and can explore it, but if I then try to copy to my external drive. Then I get a popup message saying ...Cannot Copy " My Backup," File or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
    The external drive works perfectly with all except True image.
    Another message I had was ...E:\Window is not accessable,..The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    Hope someone can help with this. The only reason I bought the external disk was for backup and this is the only thing that doesn't work on it.
    Best Regards.
    Mal 76

10. Acronis Support

Hello all,

As I can see there is only one problem in this thread: corrupted images. Every such case should be analyzed separately. This problem is really strange and confusing cause we cannot reproduce it in our Testing Lab.

The suggestion to copy the image reported as corrupted to (the internal hard drive from the external one)/(the first hard drive from the second one) and then check it again looks really reasonable. Manowar and archie22, could you please try to do this?

We also recommend you to contact support@acronis.com in order to send us the diagnostic information: System information file and Acronis report file. Please see this thread for instructions: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

11. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello again All,
    I just tried to copy an image to one of the partitions on my external drive which failed.
    Message came up corrupted and now all of the 3 partitions are not accessable so I'm having to format the 3 partitions to get back to square 1.
    I don't have much on the external, only been using it to try True Image.
    Bye for now Mal76

12. bocsor

bocsor Guest

Manowar, interesting that you are having corrupt images with a computer with the VIA chipset. I've experimented with a number of computers, using TI-8, 774 and 791 and the only computers that always gave the corrupt image check were the ones with the VIA chipset. Intel chipset computers were ok.

I don't know if this means anything or not.

13. Acronis Support

Hello bocsor,

Thank you for your notice. We do appreciate your observation and your wish to share it with others. This information is given to our Development Team and we hope that this will help us to fix the problem sooner.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. bocsor

bocsor Guest

Acronis, my other suspicion has been that you have a bug in your "check image" algorithm. I imagine you have checked this out thoroughly?

15. Acronis Support

Hello bocsor,

Are the images reported as corrupted able to restore?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

16. bocsor

bocsor Guest

Acronis,

I've never had the oportunity (or courage) to actually try a restore of one of these "corrupt" images. However, I can mount them and copy files from them without problems.

17. Acronis Support

Hello bocsor,

Could you please write to support@acronis.com and describe what partition you image and where you store the image file.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

18. pvarney

pvarney Guest

This corrupted image problem got me to thinking. I can save, or create, an image on my external USB 80GB (WD) hard drive without an error message (TI8/786). If I then do an Image Check, I receive a corrupted image error messsage. Checked the drive fragmentation with Executive Software's Diskkeeper and found that the image was fragmented, so I defragmented the drive. TI's Check Image then reports an uncorrupted image. I've not yet done a restore, but if I do an Explore Image, all appears OK. Hope this approach helps others.

19. Acronis Support

20. Manowar

Manowar Registered Member

Hi,

this afternoon i will drive to the customer and try one last thing: Connect both HDs at the same cable. Problem is, the PC-Case only allows one HDD below the Floppy and one above the powersupply. I will check it with a long roundcable and report, if error still occurs. Problems with VIA-Chipset may be possible.... But i wonder, why only images that were copied to the other drive are corrupted (you can not restore them!) and other big files work...

I hope, it finally works, because if not, i have to use another Backup-Software :( . I need a working solution to restore the PC after a crash without such massive problems and without spending hours on unpaid service. I never ever had such problems with Norton Ghost or Drive Image for years.

Manowar

21. Acronis Support

Hello Manowar,

If the problem still persists I suggest that you write to support@acronis.com and describe the situation or give the link to this thread. If you don't get an answer within 48 hours please send me a PM with your Acronis request # which will be sent to you in autoreply. Our Support Team will certainly help you to solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

22. archie22

@ acronis

Referring to the above postings I would like to add:

1) With one exception (by chance?) I got corrupted images on the external drive.

2) I always get good images on the internal HDD. But after copying these files to the external drive they are detected as being corrupt. Copying them back to the internal drive does not change the status corrupt. It is also not possible, to restore a partition with such a "corrupt" file, it does not matter on which drive the corrupt image is.

3) My chipset is from intel.

I hope this helps you to find the source of the bug. I bought the TI only for the reason, to create images on my external drive, which I bought together with TI.

Regards,
    archie22

23. Acronis Support

Hello archie22,

We have recieved your letter. Andrew Berezovsky will contact you soon. Please check your inbox.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

24. archie22

After a correspondence with acronis the support team told me, that windows is to blame for the corrupted files.

What did acronis told the other involved board members (Manovar, boscor, Mal76)?

Regards
    archie22

25. Acronis Support

Hello Archie,

I need to correct you. I have read your letters to Acronis Support Team and here is the conclusion:

There is nothing that points Windows is to blame for the error. This is a hardware problem that results in unability to copy the file to an external drive.

To make sure please contact your hardware vendor and have your external hard drive checked.

Also please note that there is no single problem "corrupted image". Each time it should be solved separately and the reason may be quite different so there is no sense in comparing the proposed solutions for you and someone else because these are solutions for different problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.