Problems with Adobe Reader - form fields.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Haven't filled in any form fields for a while, but today am no longer able to do so with Adobe Reader - even after the latest upgrade due to security issues. The cursor cannot be placed into form fields. See screenshot. This is on Ubuntu Hardy. Will try in Jaunty later.
    Adobe cursor problem.png
    I need Adobe (unfortunately) for sites like our IRS, Okular and Evince are not usable on these type of sites as demonstrated in a previous thread.
    On install all dependencies were satisfied so I am at a loss as to WHY.
    Anyone else experienced this cursor problem ?

Edit:- It's the same in Jaunty 64 bit with acroread from canonical partners. (Patched version not yet in canonical partner repo. - used unpatched one).
    Damn - I don't want to go back to Windows just because of this niggle. Any Windows users have this problem ?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Give us a site URL that is giving you the problem so we can test it.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Hi lewmur,

Appreciate it. Here is a site I used just to test. http://www.iburst.co.za/documents/apply/Individual.pdf

Edit: Damn strange; Ok now for my IRS site, but not for the one above. Could it be due to my ISP having had
    some sort of revamp. There was an email from them advising of making improvements and that there would
    be disruptions to some features.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  4. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

You're right. That site won't allow me to fill in the form from Ubuntu. But it doesn't work from XP either. Using FF or IE.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks for checking. So it's a site problem and all's fine as far as I am concerned. I wonder how they expect to do business as I for one would give up trying to fill in their lousy form. :mad:

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Ocky,

Adobe just patched lots of security holes Adobe fixes 28 holes in Reader and Acrobat.

Just to be sure, I would update Adobe Reader.

-- Tom

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Hello lotuseclat,

On Hardy (32bit) I have updated 8.16 to 8.17 (about 20 MB smaller download than 9,2); on Jaunty (64 bit) I am using the unpatched 9.13 version from canonical partner repo. as the Adobe site doesn't have a 64 bit Linux version. I am sure they (canonical) will update it shortly. In the meantime I use Okular wherever I can.

BTW. All my moaning could have been avoided had I taken the trouble to read the website application form instructions properly. The form fields could not be filled out because the application form was meant to be downloaded, then completed, and finally faxed to the company. Bit of a round-about way of doing things.
    Apologies for wasting your time ... my bad. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.