Problems restoring using TI9 (help?)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bonsai63, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonsai63

bonsai63 Registered Member

First off, let me say thank you to this community for helping so many who have had problems with TI. Whether for good or bad, there are always things that can be better with programs and there will always be a need for support communities such as this. I salute your dedication and willingness to help.

Now, to my situation. I bought Acronis 9 a few months ago and I'm on the most recent release. I built my own system and I have a Socket 754 Asus K8V-SE Deluxe motherboard. When loading Windows, I had to load proprietary Asus RAID drivers (VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Driver and Promise FasTrak 378 Raid Driver) in order to get the HDD controllers to work, even though I am not using the controllers with a Raid array. I have 3 drives, one for my system and programs, one for my data, and another that I have dedicated to Acronis Secure Zone.

I have many versions (Full and Incremental - I do a full once a week and incremental daily) of backups of my system disk in the Secure Zone and it has appeared to work. I back up the entire disk so that I can do a sector-by-sector restore if I need to or want to.

Today I ran across a situation where it would have been nice to restore my system disk to a previous day and just be done with it, so I kicked off the Recovery wizard and chose Snap Restore. It said I needed to reboot to complete, so I clicked the appropriate button. It booted into the Linux version of the software and complained in a big box with a red X saying 'E00160005 Can't open destination disk on the local computer.' I clicked the <Quit> button, as it was the only option, only to be greeted by another big box with a red X informing me helpfully, 'Failed to activate Snap Restore.' Gee. Thanks.

Well, after booting into the Acronis Startup manager and going through the Recovery wizard there, I found out that although the disk that has the Secure Zone on it shows up under the Linux app, my other two disks (both using the VIA VT6420 SATA driver) did not show up. Well, that would be the problem, apparently.

After doing a little research, it looked like maybe I could create a BartPE disk, add in my drivers, add the TI plugin and maybe I could then do my restore. After fiddling with it for a goodly while, I finally got an image burned and rebooted to BartPE. Although I did have the ability to boot and run TI, my drives were still not showing up, even though I added the drivers to the appropriate directory prior to creating the iso image and I verified that they were there and did not have any errors upon iso creation.

I really don't care whether it takes BartPE in order to be able to do what I need to do or whether I can get Acronis to do it natively (which would be a lot nicer for me), all I really want is to be able to do my restore(s). It looks as though the backups are working, but that does me no good if I am unable to use them. It seems clear that this is a driver issue, I just do not know how to resolve it or even if it is resolvable.

I hope someone is able to decipher my cryptic babblings enough to point me in the right direction and I thank you in advance for even considering taking on the challenge. It is not pressingly important that I be able to do this, but now that I know there is an issue with me being able to restore, it has me a little nervous. I have already had a situation where a disk drive failed and took a lot of my precious information with it. That is what prompted me to try to look for a backup product like Acronis TI in the first place.

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Have you tried to "see" the drives by booting with an Acronis bootable CD which uses the Linux kernel?

3. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

Do you want to restore FULL SYSTEM or just data?
    Because you can launch Acronis in Windows and just restore the data missing.

Else you'll have to add the drivers as you said in BartPE, by putting files in the \Drivers\SCSI\ASUS folder inf and sys files (maybe cat file too)
    make sure it is uncompressed (not exe files or zip)

Last resort look at the Bart Forum to see if your MotherBoard is not messy and requires a "plugin" that someone made up :

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showforum=21

Good work,

Jaycee

4. bonsai63

Yes, I have tried to boot using an Acronis Bootable Media CD/DVD. Same result.

Jaycee, I want to do a FULL restore. I thought I did add the drivers, but maybe I did it wrong. The files were not compressed. My mobo doesn't appear in the Bart forum.

Thanks, guys. If anyone else has input, I'm much appreciative. :)

5. bonsai63

How long does it take for Acronis to get around to answering official tickets? On their website they say 48 hours, but I submitted a ticket about this only a day or two after I posted my original message on the board and so far nothing.

I'm not currently impressed. True Image is of no value whatever to me at this point. Until I can do a full restore of my system image, I am not getting what I thought I paid for.

Thanks in advance for your attention. I'm hoping they will get around to me eventually and I'm fairly patient, but this is ridiculous.

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Are you running the latest build of the product. I suggest you double check this and boot your rescue disk and check its build too. It is surprising how easy it is to download a new build and forget to update the rescue disk from the previous build. Worth a try.

If that doesn't help, I suggest you try sending an email to support@acronis.com quoting your ticket number in the subject line.

If you really want to expedite things you should have a look at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 and collect the three files of configuration which Acronis will ask for when they do get around to answering, and send these with your email.

Your biggest obstacle, I'm sorry to say is that this is version 9 - and version 9 is not supported by Acronis, particularly in this their official support forum. If you look at the visits to this forum by Acronis in the last month, I think every one is to deal with a version 10 issue. I am not saying they will not sort your problem, however what I am saying is that is the great list of Acronis priorities V9 is not at the top.

F.

7. bonsai63

I thought I would post and let everyone know that Acronis did come through for me. On Nov 12th I submitted a formal support ticket, using as it's basis the information in my original post in this thread. I attached the files they say they require in order to help and viola! I recieved an email a few hours ago pointing me to a special iso build of Acronis TI 10.0. I burned the image to a CD, rebooted to the image and I have since done a snap restore twice. Once to a previous date using a FULL backup and then using an INCREMENTAL to restore back to current.

My only criticism of Acronis is how long it has taken to get the response. It's lucky this was not a critical situation for me.

My only other problem is that apparently some setting regarding time did not get set properly upon restore because my clock was behind by 1 hour. I’ll wait to see if it gets set properly when it does it’s W32Time synchronization.

My recommendation to others is to:
    1. Try doing a restore BEFORE it becomes critical. This has been recommended in multiple other posts I have seen on these forums.
    2. If it doesn't work, submit a formal support ticket with Acronis in addition to posting here.

Thanks again! I'm now completely happy with my Acronis investment!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.