Problems exploring image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hps68, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hps68

hps68 Registered Member

I am using True Image 8.0 (build 937) on Windows XP Home. When I create an image on my external hard drive, verify it, and then explore it, I am unable to open the following types of files: Excel, WordPerfect, and Acrobat pdf. (There may be other un-openable types that I don't know about yet.) With Excel, I get a very strange error message that says "Excel is unable to SAVE this file, because the volume is locked", even though I am trying to OPEN the file. With the other two types of files, I don't get any error message at all -- they just don't open. (Interestingly, Microsoft Word files do open properly.) This problem makes me very nervous about restoring my hard drive using True Image. Anybody know what causes this problem and a way to fix it? Thanks!

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are you able to copy the file out of the archive onto your HD and then open it normally?

Just a guess if you aren't copying it to your HD first, Excel could be trying to open a file to capture your anticipated work and is doing so on the same volume by default.

3. hps68

hps68 Registered Member

Yes, I'm able to copy the files out of the archive onto my HD and open them normally. Is the inability to open certain files (e.g., Excel & WordPerfect) directly from the archive typical in all versions of True Image? Could it potentially cause me a problem if I have to restore an image to my HD?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Based on what I think is happening I don't think it is a TI issue other than TI is saying the explored volume is not available for writing. The application is trying to open some temporary files and wants to do it on the same volume as the original and can't do it for that reason. Since you can copy the files out to HD and all is well I don't see why you should have a problem - People have been restoring archives from TI8 for a long time. I don't think the intent of TI was ever to do work directly with the archive but to allow you to access your files if necessary and copy them to your HD.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I think seekforever has explaned the problem well. When you plug/mount an image, it gets a drive letter, but it's not a real hard drive. You can copy from it, but you can't write to it.

You won't have any problem with a full restore, and you can restore individual files or folders by copying them to your hard drive.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

With the newest version of ATI you can mount a drive in write mode isntead of read-only mode. Certainly not in version 8.

IN the ATI 10 write mode, ATI basically makes an incremental tibe file to store the changes you "write" to the file in the original archive. The best way to use the arichived files is to copy them from the tib to a work drive/directory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.