Problems deleting an image

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by angus49, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angus49

angus49 Registered Member

I'm at a loss to tell what happened to my primary image backup. I ran it 3 days ago and it went from what should have been a 16+Gb image to a 38+Gb image. Well normally no big deal, right? Just delete it and start over...wrong. I made a new image of my primary and then tried to delete this image (X), shown below. The copy box opens, it indexes and then just sits there until I go into task manager and stop the copy service, as it won't stop when you click the stop button. CPU usage goes to 100% and there it sits.

Any ideas how I can get rid of this image?

FD-ISR.jpg

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Try booting into a different snapshot, and trying the delete from there. Also, you could take a look at your activity log (tools>activity log) on the program's main menu.

3. angus49

Chrome,

Thanks a lot. Deleting the image from another image worked fine.:thumb: :D

4. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

No problem - that image that you first tried unsuccessfully to delete from, is it your main usage snapshot? If so, you'll want to keep a watch on it and see if you have any problems deleting from it in the future. If you do, you'll need to investigate and resolve that problem.

5. angus49

Yes, It's my main snapshot. I have several as you could see, at different time frames. I keep image 2 and an archive updated from image 1 on a daily basis. I must have really gotten spoiled. I've used FD-ISR for 3 years and this is the first problem of any kind that I've experienced. Well I'll keep an eye on things for now. Thanks again for the help.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi angus49

<snipped>

I did experience a similar problem once when deleting a snapshot no longer needed, even for a different snapshot. It was still listed but with a ? mark, it finally flushed it out for good with a simple repeat of REMOVE SNAPSHOT a second time.

I expect from time to time little quirks like this from any software, and since it was FD-ISR, thats all it turned out to be, minor and easily resolved by repeating same procedure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
  7. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Angus-when I was trialling FDISR,I found a good way to establish an operating base from which to work on everything else,to stop the situation you had and stop any confusion

Using an empty snapshot,install Windows and FDISR and nothing else-I called it XP Stripped

Then boot to this and work on all other snaps in any way you like-this method seemed faster and potentially more accurate.

I made a lot of use of archives,as copying to them and especially from them also was much faster than any other way.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Although I don't use your method, I also believe that your method is faster and safer to manipulate snapshots and archives.
    Such a snapshot with Windows only and a disabled internet connection and no security softwares must be faster all the way. :)

9. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Thanks,EA!

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I also find it faster to do things in FD from a Snapshot that is not involved in anyway in whatever I am doing. Of course you have to also take into account the time for booting in and out of Snapshots, but if I know that I am going to be spending some time in FD doing a lot of different things, then I try to find a Snapshot that is not going to be involved.

Acadia

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That is one of the reason why I use a frozen snapshot, instead of using an archive.

If you use an archive to restore a snapshot, you always have to boot in another snapshot and then do the copy/update.

If you use a frozen snapshot, you don't have to reboot in another snapshot, you simple reboot and the copy/update is included in the reboot.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I routinely use the Copy/Update feature to Archive and vice-versa if or when needed.
    FREEZE "is" a really nice feature but from just a personal point of view, it was slower for me then say a simple reboot with Power Shadow or Returnil, at least from my end. If you have a zip fast PC with a high CPU and bus with 1GB memory i'm sure FREEZE is faster as in seconds delay, maybe nano-seconds?
    Depends really on the users machine capacity. Untill Spring, i'm content to work the dickens out of a meager 512Mb memory + AMD Duron 1.5. My PCchips Mobo is the most durable board i ever had, i've worked it to the bone and left it running endlessly for months over 3 years and it perks right along.

I did rename some snapshots today and once again experienced that little occurance but it's so easily resolved just by restarting the FD Manager again, no biggie.

FD-ISR was a wonderful idea that still produces outstanding results.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Folks, lets try and stay on topic, which is problems deleting an image. Somewhere back between posts 6 and 8 the thread started to wander, and with the last post is totally off topic. If there is nothing more to say about the problem of deleting an image, we can move on.

Pete

14. angus49

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I booted into another image and was able to do my updating and image or archive deletions with no problems.
    I guess for me anyway, this issue is finished. Thanks again!

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I run a RESTORATION wipe recently in hopes of keeping handy a nice clean ARCHIVE from the snapshot i run it in. To my surprise, the Copy/Update just would not take. No matter, i booted to a different snapshot and done the Copy/Update from there with no hang up. Sometimes i think third-party utilities get in the way actually and confuse FD-ISR, but it never seems to last long.

FD-ISR is extremely versatile, and forgiving as no other app i've ever experienced since working with these machines/softwares.

Glad it all worked out OK for you too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.