Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 16, 2006.
It seems waiting a while before patching is becoming safer than patching immediately. Grrr
I gave my dialup a try and it worked fine. We're not getting all the info on the users that are having problems.
Thanks for the info Ron. I may install this weekend, and test. FDISR to the rescue if problems.
Thanks, I did try dial-up as I use it on my laptop when traveling. It worked OK, but now I feel better.
Glad it hasn't affected my primary dialup isp. Haven't tried my free backups Juno & Net Zero. And I'm waiting till the 1st to signup for PghConnect, which is a 1 time fee of $9.95 limited acct. Since Pgh won't set my acct to go active 070106. And its easier if its on the 1st for me. Tmi
There is some info on this on the Microsoft Security Responce Center Blog:
Apparently, it involves Dial Up Scripting which, I think, was a scipting tool for connectiing via dial up in the Win 95 days.
No new dialup problems here, under XP home. I've gotten the odd busy signal, and once (since these last updates) even a "Remote computer did not respond", but no more than before the updates.
Hi there. 10 days ago I did a Windows update and was immediately referred to another screen. The update facility had been improved and was then installed.(XP - Home. Now version 6 update)
Last Thursday I downloaded the big stuff - no problems but . . .
yesterday, when I clicked on the Windows update icon, it told me it couldn't access the server - it suggested I wasn't connected to the net. But I was - via a broadband router. The error code was 0x80240030.
I input this in the MS search and got this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883820/en-us.
Older but similar. Didn't help. Tried emailing MS and their support groups but got the same message. Eventually found something on 0x80240030 - but as last - didn't help.
Could this be part of the dial-up problem that this thread refers to, please?
I've just found something else, since the changes. There's a new icon in Accessories/System tools - it's "Internet Explorer No add-ons". Mean anything? Thanks
Found some info. http://www.updatexp.com/0x80240030.html
I suppose you're using IE7 or have used IE7?
thanks Ronjor. I'll try the 'cures' for 0x80240030 tomorrow.
Re the IE No Add-ons, I've just downloaded IE7 Beta. Again, I'll look at the article. It's Father's Day here in the UK today so the PC is just about to be closed!!
I've tried the suggestions from Mark Liron at updatexp - no joy so I'll have to contact MS later this week. Meanwhile, two thoughts - (1) I've got the Windows automatic update in place so presumably they can still update me even thought I can't reach them. (2) I've got BT Yahoo - which recently added it's own anti-virus software (Symantec, which I already have.) Perhaps that's a factor.
Ever since I installed the latest updates, I've been seeing all kinds of security certificate pop ups on a lot of sites. Anyone else seeing this or any idea's
It could be a factor. I just don't know the answer.
You can always dig around the Download Center Home for updates until the cause of your problem is known.
I don't actively use IE. It may have to do with the changes Microsoft made in ActiveX.
Internet Explorer ActiveX update
A little more reading here.
Thanks Ron. I am also seeing it with Opera. Weird as it started with the Windows upgrade.
Okay Peter. I assumed we were talking IE here.
Now daughter #2 (15 years old) can't get on MS Messenger! Is this something else caused by 0x80240030?
This still sounds like a firewall or proxy setting problem. What firewall do you use?
Norton Internet Securitr, Ronjor. (Impossible to get through to anyone in BY Yahoo who can tell me if their in-built protection has been a factor in all this. I'll keep trying though!!
Ronjor - you were spot on!
I got through to a specialist adviser at Microsoft - a charming, very helpful yound lady. After many tests, she discovered that my NIS is ticking the Proxy Server Box in IE/internet options/connections/LAN. Unticking meant I can now access WU as before. I now need to contact Norton but at least some of the main problems have gone away. I'll let you know if anything else of interest crops up. (It seems BT Yahoo didn't install their firewall/AV - their program recognised I already had it.)
Thank you so much for your help. I now have to sort out why daughter #2 can access MS Messenger!
Sounds like you've just about got this one whipped DaveU.
Separate names with a comma.