Problems creating a Full backup on a new 400 Gb disk using ATI 9.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by yiorgos, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yiorgos

yiorgos Registered Member

Folks,
    I just installed a Western Digital SATA HDD on my Dell Dimension 8400 (HDD details: 400 Gb, 16 Mb cache, up to 150 Mbps). This is drive D:\, the 2nd drive in my desktop.
    I installed ATI 9.0 on Drive C:\
    I am trying to write the full backup file on D: directly and ATI hungs (stays at 0% completion for several hours).
    And when I re-boot, it tells me that "Drive D:\ is dirty on boot and needs to be checked.
    If I write the backup file on C: (SATA, 160 Gb, 8MB Cache) it finishes in 9 mins.

Any ideaso_O?

Regards,
    Yiorgos

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I would take the message at face value and run some tests on the new drive. WD LifeGuard diagnostics can be downloaded from the WD site and will soon tell you the state of the disk. MS CHKDSK/R is also worth running on all your drives. A brand new disk can be faulty so it is always a good practice to tests when it is first installed.

Xpilot

3. whocrazy

whocrazy Registered Member

Hi, sorry to get a bit off topic, but your posting reminds me of a similar experience I had with my new desktop when I bought it back in late 2002. I put the old drive in and moved all the stuff over to the new drive, then I formated the old drive and was just about to get ready to take the pc to the shop again so the man could take it out and throw it away. Oh and before you ask why couldn't I do it myself, I cannot see remember, so I needed some help
    a word of advice. Never delete your data off the old drive once you've copied the files from it.
    Within about a week the new hard drive started acting like a very very old one, and it began making strange noises, file transfers took for ever and eventually, windows wouldn't even boot!!. Scary stuff, eh? Especially when you dont have any means of backing up your data.
    the salesman was sure I'd messed something up after I told him what had happened, and was adamant that if I allowed him to sit down and prepare the drive for use instead of doing it myself, all would be well!
    Fortunately most of the files on the drive remained intact. To cut a long story short, he sent the hard drive away to be looked at and sure enough I was right about it being faulty.
    And the moral of this story? follow your instincts, if the hard drive is acting strange and you have data stored on it, do not use the drive unless absolutely necessary. recover all your files and copy them to another source, then have the drive replaced asap

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello yiorgos,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please also check the disks for errors like Xpilot mentioned:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

If the problem persists, please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. After that please submit a request for technical support, attach the collected report file along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.