Problems between ESET and Acronis True Image Home 2009, build 9796

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Davidj, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidj

Davidj Registered Member

Does anyone know of any problem from using ESET Smart Security in conjunction with Acronis True Image Home 2009, build 9796. There are some people that think they are incompatible. Go to this URL for a look at what is being said.

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/3124

2. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I have used Acronis Home 2009 all builds with no problems between it and Eset. I am also testing Acronis 2010 and there are no problems with Eset either.

3. Davidj

Davidj Registered Member

Jenee,

Thanks for your prompt reply, I appreciate your taking time to answer.

David

4. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Used 2009 and 2010. Made and restored many images and have never had any failures. ;)

5. Davidj

Davidj Registered Member

Jenee and PatG,

I am going to ask you for another favor. Some people have suggested that maybe the settings on my ESET Smart Security 4.0 could be causing the problem I'm having when I install ATI Home 2009, build 9796. When I installed ESS I basically used the default settings. In the Filtering modes I left it at Automatic Mode. If it's not too much trouble, would you tell me what settings you are using in your setup. Anything you have done to accomodate the installation of ATI. Did you have to change your IRPStackSize, or was it even a factor. I sorry to trouble you, but I'm looking for that one little something that could be causing my problems.

6. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

David, what O/S are you using?
    Is it a clean install of Acronis 2009 or an upgrade/over the top install?
    What exactly fails for you?

Thanks. Paul.

Edit: Sorry Dave, just realised that the link you provided was to Your issue, initially I thought it was generic. Will have a read.. :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  7. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I did not make any changes to the installation of Acronis other than to make all the backups "full" rather than incremental. This was only because I have a very large external hard disk and can accommodate a lot of full images.
    In ESS I did make a number of changes but only to increase its protection. I use Interactive Mode and have ticked all the boxes including runtime packers, advanced heuristics and advanced heuristics on file execution.
    You may have to tell us exactly what problems you are having and what your operating system is.

8. Davidj

Davidj Registered Member

Jeene,

My problem is that when I install ATI Home 2009, build 9796 on my computer I lose my internet connection, shared printers can't be used, some applications can't be opened, other can be opened, but then I can't close them without doing a reboot. Everything runs real slow.

I uninstall Acronis build 9796 and everything goes back to normal. I have tried several things that were suggested to correct this probllem, but so far none has succeded. If you look at the URL that I placed in post #1 of this thread, you can see what my operating system is as well as information on everything in my computer.

9. PatG

PatG Registered Member

David, there is a file called "TrueImageMonitor" that is located under Processes in Windows Task Manager. Check and see if that file is indeed there. I know for a fact that if it has been deleted, you will not be allowed on the internet. How? Because years ago, during a cleanup, I took it out! Took me DAYS to find the problem. Check that and let us know.

I didn't make any changes to ESS that would affect the running of TI. If the above file is present, suggest a TOTAL uninstall of TI including running registry cleaners (crapcleaner etc) until all remnants of TI are gone. Then do a new install. Should correct whatever the problem is/was.

10. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

First suggestion is to follow PatG above. If that does not solve your issue, I did see that you mentioned above that you have a task scheduled in Acronis. I suggest you remove this task from running and see what your system is like. I am not sure what the task is, but it may be consuming a lot of system resources. Could you also open Task Manager when you are experiencing the slowness, go to the Processes tab and see if any programs are using an excessive amount of memory and/or CPU.
    My installation is on XP Pro SP3 so I am not sure if that has any bearing on your problem as you are using Vista Ultimate.

11. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

This is an interesting thread as it may address some problems I faced here as both my machine and my friend's laptop did have ATI installed...though I don't think the latter had build 9796 but cannot be sure.

The next time I take a backup image, i'll try a fresh install of Windows and see if ATI is definitely related with the problems I faced with ESET v4, IE8 and other web applications.

12. djerikgo

djerikgo Registered Member

Hi,

I had to change the IRPStackSize to 18 on half of my computers company (mostly XP) after installing Acronis TI 2009 and/or Eset Smart Security 4 (couldn't access the shared folders)

Eric

13. labrador999

labrador999 Registered Member

Hi davidj,

I face exactly the same problem as you: I loose my internet connection if both ESET v4 and TI2009 are installed.

My workaround: set ESET Firewall to "totally disable" and reboot.
    Then my internet works again.

Hope we get some more advice ...

14. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I am wondering if there is some issue with the Acronis build 9796 as it does not appear to be available any longer. My build is 9770 and from what I can see on the Acronis website, 9770 is the only build available for 2009. This may be different for x64 systems.

15. Davidj

Davidj Registered Member

I have been working with Arconis support in regards to this problem. Today, 09-18-09, I received a e-mail from them and they said my case has been escalated to a tier 2 support professional.

When I am informed what my problem is I will post the results.

16. Davidj

Davidj Registered Member

With the help of labrador999 (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1533909 post #13) I think I have found an answer to my problem of not being able to access the internet when I install Acronis True Image Home 2009, build 9796, in conjunction with ESET version
    4.0.437.0 For your reference I am using Microsoft Vista Ultimate, SP2 on an Intel Quad Processor, 4 GB ram and Explorer 8. For a more complete description of my system look at Post #13 in http://forum.acronis.com/forum/3124 . Also, I am using an Actiontec M142WR modem and router combination which was provided by my ISP, Verizon FIOS. Two other locations that relate to this may be found at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=249919 and
    http://forum.acronis.com/forum/3032 .

In relation to a somewhat similar problem ESET stated, in part, “Certain modems and routers can cause conflicts with your updated ESET Smart Security Personal firewall.” This was said in ESET KB SOLN2207, in relation to a slightly different problem about Slow or no Internet connection (4.0). So it may have something to do with the modem I am using.

It would be interesting to know what others, who have this problem, or never had this problem, are using in relation to modems and routers.

This morning, after disconnecting my FIOS cable connection, I PERMANENTLY disabled the Personal firewall in ESET (see ESET KB SOLN2189) and I temporarily disabled my Antivirus and antispyware protection (see ESET KB SOLN54:cool:. Then I reinstalled Acronis True Image Home 2009, build 9796. One word of caution, if you permanently disable. or enable, the firewall, be sure to reboot your computer to make sure the action is complete.

After I installed build 9796 in ATI 2009, and reconnected my cable connection,
    I then tried to access the internet and I could make my regular connections. Then I enabled the Antivirus and antispyware protection, and everything still appeared to be working properly. Then I enabled the ESET Personal Firewall and tried to access the internet and I had the same problem I had in the past; Internet Explorer 8 could not access the internet.

Next, I again PERMANENTLY disabled the Personal firewall in ESET. This allowed me to again access the internet. I still wanted some kind of firewall for my protection, so I turned on the Windows Firewall that is built into Windows Vista. Using the Windows Firewall worked for me and did not cause a loss of internet connectivity. (See ESET KB SOLN391). I see this as a temporary solution and hope ESET has a solution that will allow me to use their Personal firewall.

In relation to a somewhat similar problem ESET stated, in part, “Certain modems and routers can cause conflicts with your updated ESET Smart Security Personal firewall.” This was said in ESET KB SOLN2207, in relation to a slightly different problem about Slow or no Internet connection (4.0). So it may have something to do with the modem I am using.

Now I need to see if ATI Home 2009, build 9796, is going to work with my system.

I am going to send a copy of this to Acronis support and ESET support. It is my hope that these two companies will not try and blame each other for the problem, but will work together to solve this problem.

17. Davidj

Davidj Registered Member

Here is what Acronis Support had to say. I think they missed the point, you shouldn't have to create a "work around".

I am glad to know that you have found the solution to your network issue. Thank you very much for the update. It will be of great help in resolving network issues of customers using ESET security.

Please check whether ATI 2009, build 9796, works properly now with your system.

If the backup files change its dates while restoring, you can follow the steps provided in the following link:
    http://kb.acronis.com/content/1762

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will leave your case open until you permit me to close it. I look forward to your response.

18. falke69

falke69 Registered Member

Please let me know, is your problem fixed now ?

I have the same problem with ATI 12.9796 and ESS 4.0.x.

The combination ATI 12.9796 and ESS 3.0.694 works with no problems.

So what is the origin problem. Who did (Eset or Acronis) changes that both are now incompatible ?

Eset says their product was the earlier one and so they do not change anything.

Acronis now has a new version ATI 2010 and I suppose they do not fix the problem in ATI 12.9796.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  19. Davidj

Davidj Registered Member

falke69,

I am still using the "work around" of turning off the EES firewall, and using the Windows firewall. As you can see above, Acronis thinks there is nothing to fix, and we can get by with this. Evidently you have contacted ESET and they don't think it is their problem. I found the same thing you did, when I was using ESS 3.0.x there was no problem, but when I went to 4.0.x I had this problem. But another side to this is that when I was using ATI Home 2009, build 9707 I did not have this problem, although there were other problems with ATI 2009 b9707.

As far as ATI Home 2010 is concerned, if I had any thoughts of using it I would wait until the next "build" is completed. One look at the Acronis forum and all the problems users of 2010 are having, makes me take a sit back and watch stance.

20. falke69

Eset don´t do anything to solve the problem.

Acronis told there is a new version without those problems. But.... I have to pay for the new version !!!

So I am the man in the middle. Only Eset and Acronis together can solve this problem. But they don´t want to.

@ Acronis. That doesn´t work, that I have to pay for a bug fix. You cannot sell a banana product that maturate at the customers.

@ Eset. With the workaround to disable the firewall, I don´t have the solution I have paid for. I want to use fully ESS and not only EAV.

Tell me how I can help to solve the problem. I have sent all my log files via Sysinspector to Eset. If neccessary I sent more information.

At the moment I am not satisfied with both told solutions to bypass the problems.

21. falke69

Are there any new information for a better solution ?

22. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

In this thread, both Eset and Acronis are being blamed for this problem when I believe it is a Microsoft operating system problem. Try googling IRPStackSize and read as much as you can. Microsoft blames antivirus software but there are thousands of users with intermittent or total loss of internet connections and network shares. In all cases, changing the IRPStackSize or adding it as a DWord fixes the problems. I just read today of someone who uses ESS and had no problems until they installed Acronis 2010.
    It would seem that the problem has to do with the number of drivers that are loaded and the load on i/o requests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.