Problem with ZoneAlarm v5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Xaq, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaq

Xaq Registered Member

My House, it's on that street with the thing
    Hey Everyone, last week (I think it was Thursday) I figured I'd update ZA to version 5 (free version). After updating I was told I needed to reboot so I did. I restarted and everything looked OK but then I got a blue error screen which performed a physical memory dump (or somethin like that). I have this problem every once in a while so I rebooted. When everything was back up I discovered a new process running known as SAVEDUMP.exe and a new startup item titled dumprep 0 -k. I unchecked it but it rechecked itself and I received the blue screen again momentarily. This continued to happen and I tried multiple things to stop it. Even when I ended the SAVEDUMP it would still appear. Finaly I uninstalled ZA and the problem ended. I'm realy not sure what happened but would like to have my Zone Alarm back. Has anyone else experianced a similar problem or know how to help. Thanks. Xaq

Oh, and one more thing, if I remember correctly the blue screen (near the bottom) said something about MPF but being a bit of a novice I didnt understand half of the gibberish the blue screen spoke of. My only guess to MPF is McAfee Personal Firewall. I at one point ran the trial version but that has ended and it will no longer run. It still appears in the Add/Remove programs list but when I tried to remove it I incountered an entirely different problem. All help appreciated. Thanks again. Xaq

2. sig

sig Registered Member

Your ivarious issues with McAfee and ZA 5 could be related or not.

One, the new ZA 5 has "issues" and even ZoneLabs is recommending to people who have problems to uninstall it and revert to their previous version. If youi don't have your previous version ZA free 4.5 should still be available on ZoneLabs' web site.

Two, did you not uninstall McAfee's firewall and just let the trial expire? Presumably youi disabled it before the trial expired and you used ZA. It could be that remnants of McAfee's firewall are conflicting with ZA 5. Even if it is disabled. Some firewalls do not play nicely with each other even if the one of them is not running.

Are you running no firewall at all now? What OS do you have? Is your PC behind a router? Hope you have at least all your MS patches up to date if you're directly connected to the internet wihout a firewall of some sort like at least a router.

First, reinstall ZA 4.5 since it seems you haven't yet done so. If you still have problems even with your old ZA which ran ok before, uninstall and then clean out any bits of ZA left over on the PC. I think ZoneLabs's site or the help file may have instructions on how to completely remove ZA and any left over bits (files and registry keys) that may remain on the PC after an uninstall. Then reinstall ZA 4.5.

For assistance on removing the defunct McAfee firewall you should post another separate thread describing the problems you encounter when you try to uninstall it from Add/Remove programs. There may be some tips people can provide you with for uninstalling McAfee when there are problems. It may (or may not) be contributing to other problems you may be having with ZA 5.

3. Xaq

Xaq Registered Member

I run XP, am using only XP firewall (I know it sucks), am not behind a router and have about half the XP security updates. I'd have the rest if I didnt still use dial-up so it takes forever for even a 5mb download. I used RegSeeker and cleaned out every ZA file in my registry, the did a clean reinstall of ZA 4.5 and everything appears to be working ok. Thanks for the help sig.

4. killian_sh

killian_sh Registered Member

Is the XP firewall turned on when you run ZA? Because XP's firewall will conflict with ZA as well.

5. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

It may be that you still have remnants of McAfee Firewall in your registry. I recently downloaded the McAfee Personal Firewall for testing from McAfee, and didnt like it, so uninstalled, but kept getting messages after from Zone Alarm that McAfee Updater was trying to connect to the Internet. When I ran a check, the Update File was still there, so deleted it, and ran System Mechanic 4 to clear all registry entries.

6. Xaq

Xaq Registered Member

I turned off XP firewall. I still havent gotten rid of MPF but as long as that doesnt give me problems I wont worry aobut it. Thanks everyone. Xaq

7. charlesvar

charlesvar Guest

On what basis do you make this judgement given your demonstarted lack of knowlege about firewalls? Or your general "lacks" in security?

If someone has problems w/ 3rd party firewalls, they should turn ICF on or make sure its running while the situation is cleaned up.

While ICF is not configuable, and is one way, nontheless does protect against worms the would otherwise almost instantly infect a system w/o a firewall. It is also a better port blocker than most 3rd party firewalls. Eaily demoed by visiting a firewall test site such as GRC.

Regards - Charles

8. Xaq

Xaq Registered Member

I'm sorry charles, not to be rude, but if I had known you would throw such a temper tantrem due to my critisism of XP firewall I wouldn't have said anything. I understand XP firewall is better than nothing and does provide a basic layer of protection but was referring to the fact that it is much inferior to the vast majority of third party firewalls.I admit, I am only a self taught novice but I would not say my PC is insecure. Compared to the comman persons PC mine is a fortress. I have never had a problem with worms, hackers, or viruses either. Even the for the first few months I owned my PC where I used no firewall, my only problem seemed to be spyware. So I would say my knowledge of security is not quite none existent, but not quite advanced either.

9. charlesvar

charlesvar Guest

You're right, it was a temper tantrum - my appologies.

Like clockwork, I get scanned by some dimwit on my local ISP who is infected with some worm or other. I can observe the exact time of logon/logoff.

Regards - Charles

10. brucegeulam

brucegeulam Registered Member

Major problems with v5. Can anyone point me to a copy of v4.5? In my aggravation with ZA I deleted all traces of ZA and started over. Re-installed v5 and had more of the same problems(no internet access). Deleted all traces again, activated XP firewall and found another firewall that would work. I liked v4.5 and had no problems. I couldn't find v4.5 on ZA's site.

Thanks for any help,
    Bruce

:D

11. blabhead

blabhead Registered Member

12. Lenelan

Lenelan Registered Member

Oh my goodness - I have been having a major problem with my computer since I did the upgrade to ZA. My computer freezes, not to mention my cable is like dial up.....I called MS today and they told me I have to many programs running and I should uninstall some spyware programs, which I am reluctant to do. I bookmarked the earlier version of ZA, so my question is do I uninstall in safe mode? I am going crazy with this!! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Lenelan

13. blabhead

blabhead Registered Member

14. Lenelan

Lenelan Registered Member

Thank you! I will check it out.....Lenelan

15. charlesvar

charlesvar Guest

Follow the ZL uninstall instructions.

As a general rule, can't uninstall in safe mode because it won't allow registry writes. And so also w/installs.

Regards - Charles

16. Cimla Hall

Cimla Hall Registered Member

I have WinXP using their firewall. I used to have Norton systems. BUT when I downloaded Zone Alarm....the program had a link to delete all of Norton, which I did. I have the latest version and the add on protection for my email. I purchased the ZA that I have now. I also have "Spyware Blaster" and the Google toolbar pop-up blocker. All of these work fine with my ZA. I have have NO problems at all with this combination .I use to have the ZA free version and it worked well for me also.
    Cimla Hall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.