Problem With Trojan Hunter And Outpost

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AnthonyG, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I wasnt sure where to post this, either in the other trojan software forum or the other Firewall forum, and im not sure whether posting this in the Trojan hunter or Outpost' own forums would be best either. But i am having some sort of compatibility problem between Outpost pro 2.5 and Trojan Hunter 4.2. What it is is when i start up my computer and run AOL to connect onto the internet usually everything is fine and i can connect ok. But on occasions when i start up my computer as soon as the desktop shows i get a little componant control message popping up at the bottom right of the screen saying THGuard.exe has modified something or other. When this message pops up (like i say it only does it on occasion) i can not start AOL it says connection is being blocked by a firewall. When i then disable outpost AOL starts up fine. So does anyone know how i can fix this component control compatability problem between Outpost and Trojan Hunter. So i can start up Aol all the time with no problems.

Thanks
    Anthony

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

this is because outpost has an option to block a program's network access if it gets modified by another process. u have two choices, either get rid of trojan hunter or disable the option in outpost. the option can be found options > application tab > component control...i think, i dont have outpost on my comp at this time but if u find that option and just uncheck it and all should work again.

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

options>applications>component control>open process control . It is nice to have but , can cause a conflict . If you have PG , it should be ok to disable . Not me though . I would dump TH for another before turning it off . That does not help you though does it ? Anyway , Agnitum is , supposedly , looking into a way to better control this option . Hopefully they will add some more control to the mix soon . Good luck

4. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I would (do) just click on the option to allow thsec.dll as a shared process.

It only happens once during an internet session. It's a minor annoyance - both Outpost and Trojan Hunter perform nicely in their respective functions.

5. hollywoodpc

I am confused here . I am very familiar with Outpost . Could you please tell me how to allow as a shared process ? Thank you

6. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Perhaps I'm just too sloppy in my description.

A warning windows pops up concerning Trojan Hunter/thsec.dll modifying Internet Explorer. Three options are provided:
    - Update information for changed components
    - Make changed component shared
    - Block this application until its restarted

I chooose the second option.

That's all I meant to communicate. Is that OK?

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

FYI, the "shared process" setting is for those DLLs that get loaded into every program (which can include some security-related ones as well as mouse/touchpad drivers and eye-candy like WindowBlinds/WindowFX). It just "approves" that DLL for all programs, saving you from having to deal with multiple Component Control popups for each application affected (shared components can be set via Options/Application/Components/Shared Components/Edit List).

However, there are other issues with TrojanHunter which I have mentioned in the Outpost forum thread.

8. hollywoodpc

Excellent . Ok . I thought I had missed out on something in Outpost . And I thought , OMG , BUT I know everything about Outpost . LOL . Thanks . I understand what you are saying now .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.