Problem with the automatic component updates

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by illuminati, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illuminati

illuminati Registered Member

I have been advised of a problem with component updates in a corporate setting where an update server on the LAN is used for clients. If component update is allowed, but a reboot is not forced, it appears that the antivirus definition files will not be updated again until the reboot occurs. Nod32 appears to still be running fine, and protecting against viruses, but the definition files will not be updated until the unit is rebooted. This is annoying on the workstations, but not a huge problem, since most of them are rebooted daily (all should be, but you know how some users are :) ). My big problem with this is that the update server itself quits taking virus definition updates until a reboot of the server is done. That means that NONE of the clients on our network receive definition updates until the server is rebooted. Our server cannot be allowed to reboot at will, so this presents a serious problem. Hopefully this is a bug, and not the designed behaviour. If it is, it makes the automatic component update feature pretty much unusable in a coporate setting, at least with us.

Thanks for any help.

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

To me, it looks like designed behavior (though whether or not you like the design is a different matter). The mirror is set up so that it holds the latest definitions/components used by the server. What you want is for the mirror to updated independently of the version in use.

Instead of this:
    Eset server --> local server --> local mirror --> LAN computers

You want this:
    Eset server --> local mirror --> LAN computers, including server

Sounds like something for the wishlist to me. :doubt:

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe you should consider changing the program component update type as shown below:

Attached Files:

• pcu.jpg
      pcu.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
  4. illuminati

Thanks Marcos. I will probably do that for the time being. Is there any chance that a future update of Nod could allow virus definition updates to still be applied until a reboot was done?

I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that protection was still active until a reboot was done, just that new features would not be available until the reboot. Is that not the case?

I really like the component update feature of Nod (especially considering what was involved in updating some other un-named antivirus products we have used :) ). We will likely have to discontinue using the component update feature as an automatic update for now.

5. Fubie

Fubie Registered Member

I also have the same issue as illuminati. My issue is that since we are a smaller company sometimes there is no one in the office for sometimes a week and if this event were to happen then our clients would not receive updates for a full week. Well this actually happened to me by accident. Today I was curious why our inner office systems had virus defs from the 15th. So when I checked the server I noticed it was requesting a restart. Well I am limited when I can restart it because it fulfills so many rolls. I tried manually forcing NOD to update but it wouldn't and hence the mirror is not updated. So now I am stuck with virus defs way out of date. Since this update requires a system restart can't the program be set to not install the files that need updated until the restart. This will allow your system to continue providing protection with the most up to date defs.

6. illuminati

Due to the lack of additional input, it appears that only myself and Fubie consider this to be a problem. I guess I will have to return to our previous policy of only applying program updates quarterly or yearly (the policy that we used with the unnamed antivirus software we used prior to Nod). It's a shame, since staying up to date on the components would be a nice feature, and probably ensure better protection.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond.

7. Jersi

Jersi Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  8. illuminati

Jersi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

As far as looking for previous posts with this problem, your post reference didn't contain the phrase "component upgrade", or even the word component, so I guess that's why my search didn't find it. I don't have a lot of time to just read the posts, so normally I do a search.

Maybe two days isn't enough time to conclude that, but my experience on these forums is that once a post falls down the list a ways, and particularly once it's no longer on the first page, it's unlikely anyone will comment further on it. Just my experience, for what it's worth.

We don't have enough pc's to need 3 or 4 mirror servers. We have approx 250 workstations/ We have one server that functions as our main NOD server, and is also the server that our workstations get updates from. It is the only machine that downloads updates from NOD. This server fulfills additional functions on our network; that's why it can't be arbitrarily restarted. Perhaps if I had been aware of this issue in the beginning, I would have chosen some less important (and less capable) computer to fulfill this role, so I could reboot it at will.

Hopefully enough other people will regard this to be a problem that NOD may look at changing their update procedure to allow machines to continue to receive the antivirus definition updates only, even though they are flagged as needing a reboot for the component updates.

The other question that I posted earlier in this thread has never received an official answer: are the computers that are waiting on a reboot still protected? I posted this question also quite a while back, and only received an anser from one person who basically said that he thought they probably were. If protection is still functioning, why can the virus definition updates not continue to be applied?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

9. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Illuminati - don't feel too bad - I find the search on Wilders to be a little flaky when searching for 'phrases' - it's simply not intuitive, so your inability to find things using it is definitely NOT something you are alone in...!

;)

regards

Greg

10. zashita

zashita Registered Member

The computers not rebooted are still protected (AMON, IMON, ..., are still loaded), but not updated. To be able to receive the updated databases, the must be restarted. It is because of the change of some program files.

About your mirror, maybe you could setup another computer to be the mirror (while you are waiting for restart your main server), and change the mirror settings (with the tools in the RAC) of all your computers.
    It is not a long process, and maybe it could help you ...

11. Jersi

Jersi Registered Member

I must agree, that the best work around is to run NOD32 on a PC so that it can be rebooted and not affect anyone.

We have however, found a work around for the problem
    (A way to reboot NOD without rebooting):

Download an app named PSKILL (A System Process Killer),
    Run pskill.exe nod32krn.exe
    Open services.msc
    The “Nod32 Kernel Service” should have restarted automatically, if it did not, start it
    In Nod32 Control Center, Update status should now show “Idle”
    A reboot is no longer required, updating will continue as normal.

Right, last post for today, I'm off to the pub!

12. illuminati

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas guys. I have used pskill before, and may try that out for this situation. Long term, maybe moving the updates to another computer might be the best answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.