problem with "TCActive" and Win2k

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Thomas M, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Now this is a tricky problem:

On my Dell Notebook running Win2k, SP4 I can not run TCActive, which is part of THE CLEANER. First the program worked just fine, but sometime a few month ago it suddenly stopped....

Now when it starts the screen looks like the image below.

TCActive runs perfectly on other Win2k-systems, when I install the free version for testing.

I run the program not with administrator privilegs, but also as user Adminstrator it does not work.

I reinstalled it several times, loaded the latest updates, no help. However after deinstalling my registration info remains somewhere in the registry.

The E-Mail support at The Cleaner could not help.

Important: TCMonitor and The Cleaner itself seem to work OK! But I also want TCActive :mad:

So my final hope are the experts in this forum :rolleyes:

Thanks for help,
    Thomas :)

Attached Files:

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Thomas,

Did they provide a reason? Anyway, I do suggest dropping Moosofts CEO an email, Daniel Otis-Vigil: dvigil@moosoft.com

best of luck,

paul

3. Thomas M

Paul,

Thanks for your response!
    Yes, I am in contact with Daniel. He detected that on my Win2k machine the Windows service "Performance logs and alerts" is not running. But I do not know why :oops: So this seems to be rather a Windows problem than a TCActive issue. (and this is why I initially posted the thread in the section "Sofware & Services" ;) )

So any help is appreciated :)

Thomas

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Thomas,

Since it isn't an (antitrojan) software issue, but an O/S related issue, I'm sorry to say it's fairly impossible to determine the culprit from here - far too many variables come into play. Personally, I can't help you out here; hopefully some Windows Guru joins in and tries to help you out.

regards.

paul

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I don't have any knowledge on this subject (I don't have W2000), but maybe the Help-file could give some help (but I guess you have already looked there):

Click Start, and then point to Programs.
    Point to Administrative Tools, and then click Performance.
    On the Action menu, click Help.

Maybe you could also try to ask your question at the DSLR-MS-Help-forum:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/winme

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

1. To check the status of this service in w2k, go to

start>settings>control panel>administrative tools>services

2. Right click on "Performance logs and alerts", select Properties.

3. Look down at the "Startup Type" box. It will probably be set to "Manual". You can use the pull-down to change it to "Automatic", which should activate the service when you boot up. Select this option, reboot, and give it a try.

4. If this doesn't work, you can set the options back the way they were the same way.

Good Luck!
    ;)

7. Thomas M

JimIT and FanJ,

Thanks for your suggestions! :D

I installed "The Cleaner" on another PC running Win2k and realized that the service "Performance logs and alerts" was also not started, but here "TCActive" runs just perfect o_O

By the way: Can any of you start this specific service at all?? Both my computers running Win2k-SP4 fail to start this service even after setting the service to "automatic" and rebooting...

So for now it seems that "Performance logs and alerts" is not required for TCActive. Daniel at Moosoft is very helpful though and trying some other things :rolleyes:

I'll keep you informed about the progress. However, if any of you has some good ideas, please let me know :-*

8. Thomas M

Just to finish this up:

Daniel and me solved the problem :rolleyes: ! It has to do with a randomly occuring change of the registry.

Daniel plans adding this problem/solution to his FAQ page on THE CLEANER webesite here:

http://www.moosoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1300

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.