Problem with SUPPOSED Updates?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Chrisgod, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrisgod

Chrisgod Registered Member

My problem is I am being prompted (And have been for several months now) to update my MS Security downloads VIA Nod 32.

It goes something like this. I receive a message telling me I need to attend to a problem Nod32 is having. I open Nod 32 and and asked to update certain items by visiting a URL at MS update site. I do this and I think due to the fact I use Firefox as my browser I am redirected to a page which tells me I need to visit via IE6/7/8/etc and so I do. I am THEN told the page cannot be accessed via this URL!! So I then go direct to the MS update page and am asked to download SP3. It fails and so back to square one and the page will appear again tomorrow and will appear again for 3 to 4 days before going dormant again for several months?

Now I HAVE asked support for help with this but they were not a lot of help and to be honest I gave up as the messages stopped. BUT they are now back and as far as MS system is concerned apart from SP 3 which will NOT complete I am up to date? YET Nod 32 is saying I have around 10/12 applications requiring attention.

Hope this is succinct enough to help? But I really would like to get this sorted and can find NO reference to anything like this either in any of the help files?

HELP?? please?? :)

2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

If you visit the MS Windows update site and choose for custom instead of the recommend express search you should be able to 'skip' the SP3 update and you should be able to install the remaining updates.

As for failure installing SP3, have you tried downloading the update from MS site, and start the installation manual? ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en - Make sure to choose the correct language.) Also temporarily disable any AV (nod32) and any other real-time scanner active as recommend by Microsoft when you start the SP3 installation.

3. Chrisgod

Chrisgod Registered Member

Many thanks! I have looked at the MS site and there are NO other downloads pending other than SP3o_O And yet Nod is reporting around 12 which need updating?

I have only just managed to get IE itself working! And that after several years of having no IE at all! Al this and with 5 days of working with a support professional from France to try and sort this out (An MS pro). So I am a little stuck!

One of the NOD techs has told me how to turn off the alerts which is not available in the help set. So at least I can now do this. But as I said this is not addressing the problem is it?

BUT rest assured I DO appreciate your help!

Chris

4. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Are you able to install SP3 now? It is recommend installing this service pack. After that you can install remaining updates -if there are any-.

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Assuming you have Microsoft Windows XP installed on your computer in the standard location, you can click on Start → Run from the Task bar and entering
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    as the command to run, and press Enter or click on the OK button to reach Microsoft's Windows Update web site in Microsoft Internet Explorer.

This should allow you to download any missing updates for your operating system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.