Problem with Safari

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Riverrun, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I don't know if it's appropriate to bring a Mac problem here. I'm hoping that someone in Wilders will be able to throw some light on it.

I have a weird problem with Safari. I noticed just today that it will not download .dmg files from the net.

I have no idea how long it's been going on because I haven't felt the need to download new stuff for awhile. Opera is working well, so is Miro and my internet connection seems fine.

I'm using Tiger 10.4.11 and I'm new to Mac. This is the first problem I've had with the new coputer...a 5 month old Black Macbook with 2 Gb of RAM.
    I have no idea what might be causing it. Can't be firewall settings, surely (basically, all the boxes are un-checked) or it would affect everything else and that is not the case.

This is what happens when I try to d/l a .dmg file...the blue pinstripe colour will start in the url bar and after a brief instant it will quit. It will only move a fraction of the way across the url bar, maybe 1/10 of the way and then stop. Clicking the 'manual download' produces the same result. The blue pinstripe gets to the second / in http //and then stops and disappears.

It will download a Windows .exe file but not a Mac .dmg. Same problem with Camino. Opera is the only browser that will d/l anything useful to Mac at the moment.

BTW, I tried the .exe d/l files purely as an experiment. I am not seeking to install a Windows program on a Mac system, even if that were possible short of using some sort of emulator.

So far I've:
    Verified Disk Permissions
    Repaired Disk permissions
    Verified Disk
    Cleared all Caches and Logs
    Ran Cron Scripts
    D/Led the Apple Combo 10.4.11 (in Opera) and installed it
    Thried Deleting Safari and re-installing the Combo, taking care to check. reset and repair permissions before and after each installation.
    Reset Safari and deleted the .plist

There are no third party plugins that I remember installing apart from Adobe Flash Player, Flip for Mac and Perian.

It just won't d/l .dmg files.

Weird!

2. Riverrun

Tried creating a new admin acc and Safari works as advertised in that, which means it's not the install. It gives me options other than a re-install. At the very worst, I can transfer my data to the new acc. and delete the old one. It's clear that it's something in my main acc.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Sure sounds like a permissions issue to me, but I'm a Win user. However, did you walk through the approaches listed in post #6 here.

Blue

4. Riverrun

Trying them now. At worst it's a case of moving my data to the other acc. but I'd rather find a solution. Thanks for the link, Blue and a happy new year.

5. Riverrun

Getting very close to a solution now. I find thar if I right click and Choose: Download linked File as... it works as normal. Problem is that this option is not always available.

6. Riverrun

Found the problem. In case anyone is interested, it revolved around a plug-in that I had used months ago, deleted the Mac way by dragging to trash and promptly forgot about.
    Re-installing and using the official uninstaller solved my problem. All is well.

7. magnus

magnus Registered Member

Hi,

I have a similar, but still somewhat different problem.

I just bought an imac two days ago. So far I have not managed to download a single dmg file. I have googled for some solution but can not find any to this problem.

When I download with Safari i get some file called ****.dmg.download and the download bar goes to like 99.9% but then it stops (for other files there is no such problem). I have tried with other browsers (like Opera) but the problem remains.

I have even tried reinstalling both Tiger and the upgrade to Leopard that came along with the computer but it did not help either.

Please help!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.