Problem with Returnil

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by LenC, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I downloaded and installed free version. After a period of time, I received an error message that the trial period had expired and the program was locked. I wasn't sure why that had happened, but I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Now the same thing is happening again.

Can anyone help me with this or point me to another program with same functionality (that will work properly).

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Len,
    Did you uninstall any/all previous versions from your system?

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Yes, I did - before the second installation. There was nothing to uninstall before the first.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

This prgram has given me a lot of aggravation and I just want to get rid of it. Is there anything to do, other than a windows uninstall, to completely remove it from my computer? I don't want remnants of it to conflict with a program with similar features that I will install, e.g., Shadow Protect or Shadow User.

Thanks

5. Coldmoon

Just uninstall and you should be good to go

6. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Just curious - why did your program keep thinking it was a trial edition - when the splash page clearly indicates it is the personal edition?

I have a premium version installed on a different computer in the house on a network - would that have had anything to do with it?

7. Coldmoon

This should only happen if you had the Premium installed prior to installing the Personal Edition (RVS would then be confused) or changing/editing the included Serial Number during the Personal Ed. install. The procedure for clearing this is to uninstall and then reinstall.

We should be able to clear this by upgrading you to the Premium Edition. Let me know and will PM you a Serial Number.

Mike

8. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

It is so refreshing to come across a software publisher that will go out of its way to make its clients happy, even if the client is not a paying customer. Not only awesome software but an awesome organization as well. My faith in humanity has somewhat been restored.

9. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I am a paying customer. I have their premium addition on a computer and then tried to add their free addition to two others. So while I appreciate their effort to correct this, it would be preferable if the software just worked as advertised.

10. Coldmoon

Len,
    There have been changes made in the 2.0.1 series that may have already addressed what is happening on your system(s). Would you be willing to try the current beta?

11. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Understood, regardless you have to grant that Mike is trying his damnedest to help resolve your issue which is, as I said above, real nice to see. Sometimes things just go wrong for some reason, could be anything from a messed up install due to a messed up download to something on the PC that for whatever reason caused a conflict. Sure it may be the programs fault but then again it may not be. As far as I can see you have little to lose if you try to get the issue resolved, you can always dump the program if this fails (please don't take this the wrong way, I am just trying to be helpful not confrontational).

Do you have an image of the drive from before you did the first Returnil install on the PC in question?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.